I know I've asked this before but...

Started by
2 comments, last by Muzlack 21 years, 8 months ago
I know I''ve asked this before but I never got a clear answer. Here''s a bit of information about myself: I am an indy game developer making my own games with my friend. I''m serious about this. I want to actually get a game in stores. I want people to pick it up and say, hey this game looks fun, and want to buy it and possibly own my own business making games. I''m 15 years old and I''ve been programming for 8 years. I can''t say I''m a wiz at making great games or whatever, but I do think that I''m doing really well for how long I''ve been doing this. Programming used to be one of those things that I would have to sit and think, now how am I going to implement this? but now, it''s changed. I can sit, code and not stop, and I won''t need to stop and think about how and what I''m doing ne more. I plan on mastering in computer science. Now, the big questions are: 1) Do I have a chance at all of making this real? 2) Is game development the best software possibility for me? I mean, I can programming pretty good websites(in my mind) and I can make some applications that would be useful to some people. Is game development the best road? I find it really fun. 3) How long will it take me to be able to find a job out of high school? Do I have any work experience? (to the employers?) 4)How much money will I make a) if I get hired by a company or b)if I have my own company. Just pour out all the suggestions you can throw at me. Thanks alot. Sponge Factory --Muzlack
--Muzlack
Advertisement
There are two reasons to make a game

a) experience
b) profit

You''re at the experience point. You shouldn''t expect a dime for anything you do but you should work as though you expect to be paid.

No matter how impressive you think anything you do is, give it away. Or at least make a version of it you can give away. If you let paranoia get in the way ("people will steal my ideas" ect) you''re only going to hurt yourself. It''s more important at this point that people see your work than you making money on it.

If you don''t have anything to show you have zero chance of getting a job any time no matter how much schooling you get.

Nobody as of yet has seen your work to give you a straight answer. You could very well suck at coding and be under a self dellusion that you''re any good. You need to post your work somewhere so people can see it.

Then you''ll get real feedback.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
Sorry I haven''t been able to reply on this one for a while. Anyway, I like your idea, and I will post what I have right now of my game for all to download. But my real question was, if I keep at this (it shouldn''t matter about what skill I have right now) should I be able to get a good job? I want to know if what I am pursuing is pointless.
--Muzlack
Ok, I don''t have access to my website as it is about to be closed, so I am using my "public" tripod account as an ftp server :-) goto tripod and the username is muzlackmonster and the password is bryce1. And also, I was testing the bossbattle looping in the game, so the boss music is going in the town and I just got npcs in so I''m using the main characters body for the npc. anyway check it out.
--Muzlack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement