site like nehe.gamedev.net for directx?

Started by
6 comments, last by pandabear114 21 years, 8 months ago
Is there a site like http://nehe.gamedev.net but for directx? I am reading Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus which has some DirectX info but massive tutorials for it like nehe has would be quite helpful. Or would it be easier to just learn OpenGL instead and just use nehe to learn? I am a beginner to C++ and just need eaither of them to practice coding etc and I do not really care which. Is it easier to learn DirectX than OpenGL and I should just not worry that there are not as many tutorials? Thanks and I hope this doesn''t get locked. :\ I just want to know what would be easiest to start with, not which is better :<
Advertisement
Try Nexe.

HTH
SysOp_1101
doh
thx
any advice on which is easier for a newbie programmer would still be helpful :\
I'm biased towards OpenGL myself. The added bonus with it is that you can use Glut for a lot of the dirty work (if you don't want to handle it yourself). OTOH, you'll probably find yourself dealing with alot of DirectX syntax in the long run anyway (unless you go completely with 3rd party solutions for stuff like sound, input, etc), so getting used to it with Direct3D might not be such a bad thing.

What it comes down to is try 'em both, see which one you're most comfortable using and learn all of the basic concepts with it (after all 3D concepts are API independent). After you've done that, switching to the one that seemed harder to you in the beginning should be a lot easier. Just my $.02.

HTH

[edited by - SysOp_1101 on August 13, 2002 4:05:27 AM]
SysOp_1101
uhh
so i went to nexe.gamedev.net and started looking at that
first tutorial first couple of lines (http://nexe.gamedev.net/Tutorials/ViewTutorial.asp?tutorialfile=Pages/Tutorial1.myxml)
said:

This tutorial is on setting up the SDK for use with Microsoft Visual C++.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first step is to renounce all sympathies you ever held towards any pandas.

maybe the name will give you a clue about my care for pandas, but im taking this as a sign and going with OpenGL.
End of discussion.

now the new question is:
Is it still worth reading Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus?
like is there valuable information in there even if i do a little directx at first then switch over?
I like Drunken Hyena, its easier.

yeah and TotWGPG is about DirectDraw(2d). I think its a good book, although you dont get to learn any 3d.

[edited by - pipo declown on August 13, 2002 5:33:07 AM]
hrmm
ya
ill probably go through all the main tutorials for each of them

but if i decide to stick with opengl should i still then go ready my book?

has anyone who has read it that uses opengl found it usefull?
or should i go buy a different book :\
quote:Original post by pandabear114
The first step is to renounce all sympathies you ever held towards any pandas.

heh wow it does actually say that...

Anyhoo, it is actually possible to use more than one API. Keep the directx book, experiment a bit with that, then try out opengl using Nehe''s tutorials. Then decide which one you prefer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement