Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lowlevel

OpenGL uses more CPU-cycles than D3D?

Well I was reading about on the www.guru3d.com forums and came across a thread where this guy had problems with his performance. He hade a very unbalanced system (celeron@500 & Geforce4Ti 4200) but he thought that D3D games worked better than OpenGL. Another guy answered that OpenGL is much more dependent on the CPU but still he claimed that OpenGL was faster. Well I''ll post a link so you can read for yourself. http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34223 Read GeekBoyJOEY''s comments to see what I''m talking about. Is this true?

i''d say it is very heavily dependent on the actual game code, not the renderer they are using. when i had my celeron 500 running a spanking new gf3, i had no trouble with quake 3 at highest visual settings in 1600x1200. at the same time, gta2 for instance ran slowly even at 640x480 at the lowest visual settings. it has already been said that it is very hard to get a honest gl vs d3d benchmark, and using different games to show performance differences proves nothing to me.

and about that guy''s comments...
quote:

D3D would probably seem faster due to it relying mostly on the GF4 card. OGL uses the whole system including more CPU cycles and system memory bandwith. OGL is much more advanced than D3D when it comes to 3D rendering. That''s why it''s soo much faster than D3D.

and
quote:

D3D has general compatibility across all 2D/3D video cards. OGL is strictly pipelined 3D rendering.

i find these statements completely ridiculous. especially considering that dx8 doesn''t even have dd anymore. i think he doesn''t have much clue, and i certainly am not going to trust him with anything.

Heh. That was my thought too when I read his statements. It felt like he was just throwing out statements without being able to back them up. Really annoying :/

quote:

i''d say it is very heavily dependent on the actual game code, not the renderer they are using.

Agreed.

A lot of people dont seem to understand that OpenGL is just a standard, and it has many implementations on many platforms. What resources an OpenGL application may use is dependent upon its implementation - so blanket statements like "OMG OPENGL USES TEH MORE CPU CYCLES!!!11" are Just Plain Wrong. "guru"3d my arse.

[edited by - sark on August 15, 2002 1:40:56 PM]