Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosshuts

What to use.

Hi Everyone. I am very serious about programming some of my own games or at least get started on programming my own games. Basically I need to know which package to get. The Dark Basic and Dark Basic Pro look very tempting but I have heard a lot comments about using DIV Studio 3. Which should I get, I am not really sure what type of games I won''t to attempt to make but at first I would have a go at making a 2d style platform game and then progress in to the 3d area in time. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciayted. Thanks Ross.

It depends on your scope. If you want to make cool looking games without a lot of space (you can''t write your own engine etc.) then try DarkBASIC (I tried the DIV trial but found DarkBASIC a lot more efficient and easier too).

However if you want to be a BIG TIME programmer with a lot of flexible options use C/C++ or JAVA (or any other universal language).

As an answer to your query of DB or DIV I would recommend DB. I started on DB for 3 months before starting C++/JAVA anyway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ilthigore-
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks for your info, looks like DB is the way to go for the moment. Could I build a cheap and easy 2d platform games at all or does DB really focus on 3d environments.

Also do you think I should start with the Dark Basic or use the new and improved Dark Basic Pro. I was looking at amazon and Dark Basic is pretty cheap now and I noticed that the Pro Version is a lot more but if its worth it in the long run I will go down that route.

Thanks again.

R.

Well, I would learn C++ and start programming simple games, later use a API like DirectX/OpenGL.

It''s hard if you never programmed before, but with a book on C++ you will soon be able to do lots of neat things

should also check out
http://www.truevision3dsdk.com/truevision3d/

another visual basic engine. havent played with it but looks interesting. i believe its free if you release freeware games and maxs out a $150 for commericial games. could be wrong though