ADPCM sound programming

Started by
7 comments, last by felisandria 24 years ago
I''ve been researching this all day and it''s getting really ugly. Basically I need to figure out a way to stream/play an OKI ADPCM format in Windows, without using DirectX as it''s on NT so I only get DX3. I''ve been trying to convince people that we should stream MP3 instead (smaller), but then I would need a conversion algorithm of some sort. Has anyone here tried to/seen something to help use ADPCM in Windows? I''m cringing a bit at the thought of writing sound conversion/compression algorithms without any help... especially as they want a browser plugin to do this. -fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Advertisement
go here for all the informayion you need its all there
http://www.dc.ee/Files/Programm.Sound

Cool site, though it doesn''t seem to have OKI ADPCM on it (it has normal ADPCM but that''s a different compression schema unfortunately) (then again maybe I''m blind *smile*)
Thanks tho

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Is there an ACM (Audio Compression Manager) driver available for OKI ADPCM? If so, you can use the ACM interfaces to decompress the audio.

-vince

-vince

I''ve been trying to find one, so far unsuccessfully.
I did manage to find a way of decompressing into a .wav, so I think I can probably rewrite that to reformat it as an .mp3 so I won''t have to write a plugin.

-fel
Grant, where did you stumbled upon .ee link, or do you happen to be estonian ? my eyes got wet seeing good ol'' DarkCorner being mentioned somewhere on the other side of the globe ...

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
Kertropp I just searched for ADPCM just lucky i guess :p
fel-

When you play MP3s, they are decompressed and then sent to the sound device in PCM format, which is basically a .WAV (actually one of .WAV''s supported formats). I don''t quite understand why you''d want to convert to MP3 if the purpose is merely to play it out. MP3 is a lossy algorithm, so you''d be losing even more of the original signal.
Basically you''d convert from PCM to MP3 back to PCM again.

Of course, playing in NT is only a matter of using the Win32 waveOut... functions. I''m sure you already know this, but I thought I''d mention it for everyone else.
Well, actually not in this case unfortunately, because the OKI ADPCM is 24 bit, while "normal" ADPCM is I believe 32 bit. I also need to add watermarking during conversion for streaming. I found out the hardware will also do GSM 6.1, which I think I will use because it''s a lot more standard.

-fel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement