3d side-scroller

Started by
1 comment, last by Taiyou 21 years, 8 months ago
Do people still enjoy side-scrollers? What made games like Mario so memorable? Was it just that there were few games ever made of the sort? If anyone here has played adventure mode in smash brothers melee, they would know what I am trying to describe: The graphics are 3d but the movement is 2d. Could a game like this still work?
Advertisement
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project was a recently released 3D-sidescroller and it received pretty decent reviews. I don''t know how it sold, but I think the main reason why it got so much press was because of the Duke Nukem franchise. There certainly is still a side-scroller market (especially if its 3D), but its not nearly as big as the other larger genres (RTS, FPS, RPG).
Check out the Stick Soldiers games, by White Space Unlimited. They have a few huge threads on this forum, dedicated to discussion on their Stick Soldiers game (and its alpha sequel). I personally don't think much of side-scrollers anymore (I prefer top-down 2D or full 3D), I know lots of people still love them.

-Mike

[edited by - doctorsixstring on August 13, 2002 11:09:16 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement