Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plague1392

Surface Restore Error - Please Help

I’ve recently started DirectX programming and have just written my first game. It works fine apart from when I Alt-Tab and restore the game, at which point it crashes. I searched the forum for similar posts to see if anyone had had a similar problem but unfortunately my problem seems different to the many other issues people have had with this. I’m using the WM_SIZE message to see if the game has been minimised:

case WM_SIZE:
{	
	if (wparam == SIZE_MINIMIZED)  
	{
		RunGameMain = false;
	}
	else if ((wparam == SIZE_MAXIMIZED) || (wparam == SIZE_RESTORED))
	{
		RunGameMain = true;
		ReloadSurfacaes = true;
		if (lpDDSurfacePrimary && lpDDSurfacePrimary->IsLost())
			lpDDSurfacePrimary->Restore();
		if (lpDDSurfaceBack && lpDDSurfaceBack->IsLost())
			lpDDSurfaceBack->Restore();
	}
	return(0);
}break;

I’ve got the below code to stop the GameMain() being run when it’s minimised: if (RunGameMain) GameMain(); At the top of GameMain() I’ve got some code to restore the off screen surfaces used in the introduction, title screen and game:

if (ReloadSurfacaes)
{
	if (Game)
		Game->RestoreSurfaces();
	else if (Title)
		Title->RestoreSurfaces();
	else if (Intro)
		Intro->RestoreSurfaces();

ReloadSurfacaes = false;
}

Finally, here’s an example of one of the functions called to restore the surfaces:

void CTitle::RestoreSurfaces()
{
	if (PressStartSurfance && PressStartSurfance->IsLost())
	{
		PressStartSurfance->Restore();
		DDReLoadBitmap(PressStartSurfance, 
			       MAKEINTRESOURCE(F_TITLESC_PRESS_ST_TXT));
	}
	if (SnowManSurface && SnowManSurface->IsLost())
	{
		SnowManSurface->Restore();
		DDReLoadBitmap(SnowManSurface, 
			       MAKEINTRESOURCE(F_TITLESC_SMAN))
	}
	if (TextTitleSurface && TextTitleSurface->IsLost())
	{
		TextTitleSurface->Restore();
		DDReLoadBitmap(TextTitleSurface, 
			       MAKEINTRESOURCE(F_TITLESC_TEXT_TITLE))
	}
}

When I Alt-Tab to minimise the application the game stops running and everything seems fine, but unfortunately when I maximise the application I just get a black screen. In debug I get the following output. Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Cannot restore surface, in the middle of a mode change Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Can''t restore implicitly created surfaces Direct3D8: (INFO) :NOT Setting DDCAPS_BANKSWITCHED Direct3D8: (INFO) :Mode was never changed by this app Direct3D8: (WARN) :Cannot restore surface, not in original mode Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Can''t restore implicitly created surfaces Direct3D8: (WARN) :Cannot restore surface, not in original mode Direct3D8: (WARN) :Cannot restore surface, not in original mode ddcopybitmap failed I thought it might be a problem with the primary and back buffer surfaces being restored before the application had maximized so I moved the code to restore these two surfaces to the if (ReloadSurfacaes) bit in GameMain. This changed the debug output slightly (the first two errors go) but it’s still producing a similar problem. Direct3D8: (INFO) :NOT Setting DDCAPS_BANKSWITCHED Direct3D8: (INFO) :Mode was never changed by this app Direct3D8: (WARN) :Cannot restore surface, not in original mode Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Can''t restore implicitly created surfaces Direct3D8: (WARN) :Cannot restore surface, not in original mode Direct3D8: (WARN) :Cannot restore surface, not in original mode ddcopybitmap failed Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I can’t work it out at all. Thanks a lot for any help you can offer. -- Plague1392