Quake 2 Engine time to gut this fish!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by Broken Edge 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi all Been a while since I posted, I''ve been trying to make a game for my final year college project, its been going fairly ok, until a course menthor informed that we can use existing engines to create games. So I decided Quake 2 (Is this a wise choice? or are there better ones available?) Next, does anyone know what exactly you can push the engine to? or are we limited to Q2 style mods that currently exist? Do I have to write openGL drivers to make use of newer hardware? What are your recommendations with Quake? by this I mean what exactly should I strip it down to and what should I just dump? Im at a loss at the moment, as I''ve spent the past 3 months learning DirectX and am picking up on OpenGL pretty fast, but Im still a tad stuck and need to pick up the pace a bit. Any advice would be great. Links, articles, or just comments, all are welcom
I have a big pointy pokin stick......
Advertisement
Hi.
I won''t talk too much about the engine, but I think it''s a good ideia, although it uses only C language.
I''ve heard that someone has made a racing mod for it, so it should be quite flexible.
As for the gl driver, those .dll are just interfaces, currently supporting sgis_multitexture (still supported by nvidia and other IHV) and some others (ext_pointparameter...).
I don''t know how easy can it be to use it.
Good luck
Hi!

I think it would be better if you would make your own engine. Okey your engine maybe will not be as advanced as the Quake 2 engine but it will be something that you made by yourself and that counts more or does it?
I''ve made my own engine, and I dont think its good.
Our projects have to be of full comercial standard. My own engine wouldnt cut the biscut
You cant sell anything you make with the Quake II engine, unless you pay Id some large amount of money.

Its not knowing the path but walking it.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
You cant sell anything you make with the Quake II engine, unless you pay Id some large amount of money.

Its not knowing the path but walking it.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
Actually you can sell your game but you have to make it open source.

"but the gist of it is that you can do
anything you want with the code, including sell your new version. The catch
is that if you distribute new binary versions, you are required to make the
entire source code available for free to everyone."

-John Carmack.

on the readme of quake2 source code
In Construction : http://www.gdev.org
Its only a college project and it wont be sold, but we as students have to aspire to creating an application that could be sold (but we wont be selling it)
I actually did the same thing for my senior project in college. I used the Renderware engine. I bought into it when it was rather cheap so this may not be an option now but worth a look
Gaming is a way of life believe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement