Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arsenius

VC++ video mode 13h

does anyone know how to get into video mode 13h in Visual C++ 6.0? my code is __asm{ mov ah,0x13; int 0x013; } it goes into the mode (I think the screen clicks and looks different) but the computer just freezes up and I have to resstart I tried to get into vesa mode using asm too but that just gave me a blue screen of death. help please thanks

that''s not what I wanted to here (I don''t want to learn windows programming just yet) but thanks a bunch

oh yeah and I did have it with ax instead of ah but I didn''t think to look it up when I posted that.
ah gives me a blue screen if you cared

-arsenius

I could be wrong, but i think it''s simply a limitation of VC++ that you cannot change the video mode with assembly language. In fact, i used that to create a blue screen generator.

glBegin(GL_POLYGON);

Guest Anonymous Poster
In order to run a program that takes complete control of the video screen under Windows you must override the windows GDI. To do this you can either create your own virtual device driver or something, or you could just use directx which was created for the sole purpose of doing exactly what you want. However that requires learning a bit about component object modeling or COM. Windows will give you the BSOD as you found out if you just try and reset the video mode without approval from the operating system by using that little bit of assembly. In order to use 13h in that way you must run it under an operating system that allows you to take over the video card at will, such as DOS. Try putting your computer in DOS mode and then run it. Otherwise you can use directX and still obtain mode 13h but under windows. Ok, later.....

I heard it was easy to learn in

Windows programming is scary to me--I''ve written in assembly language for graphics calculators and written a couple of games for them so handing over control to the operating system is kind of a foreign concept ya know
I didn''t want to learn dx programming just yet but oh well