Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zido

VisualBasic, Java, Or VisualC++? That is the question

I`m creating a RPG text-based game right now and I already have it all planned out. Now what language will it be great programmed in? I need some answers from experienced programmers. Well, I can take some from non programmers too.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Whats the difference? Are you doing the programming? The language really does not matter, it is only a tool. Use what ya know.

Visual Basic has some of the best text editing function of any language. And if you using VB.net you can write to a console window just like in C. What''s also nice is that VB.net uses something called a string builder, which lets you modify strings very fast. IMHO I think VB is your best choice.

Horny Farmer (Jolly Rancher)

Python would be my suggestion. But the real question is: What do you want to learn?

"It is precisely because it is fashionable for Americans to know no science, even though they may be well educated otherwise, that they so easily fall prey to nonsense. They thus become part of the armies of the night, the purveyors of nitwittery, the retailers of intellectual junk food, the feeders on mental cardboard, for their ignorance keeps them from distinguishing nectar from sewage."
Isaac Asimov

No for just text, i agree, Visual Basic. However if you want to move on from creating your RPG to making other, better games (such as graphical ones) you definitely need to make it in C/C++ just as a learning experience... But if you don''t plan to do so and just want to make this one text game, yeah, VB is the fastest/easiest...

C#. It has a similar syntax to C++ and Java, has access to the same .NET framework classes as VB.NET (i.e. StringBuilder), and has a stronger syntax than VB.NET.

If that isn''t an option, then unless you know C++/Java, do the VB route. Personally, I''d write the RPG in C++ w/STL or C#.

Regards,

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
C++ is the way to go. It excels in most areas.

I have no idea why people are saying java is better at text, I''d say that C++ is better at text overall but is worse at extracting substrings and tokenizing (but why would you be doing either of those in a game?). Ahh I know, maybe they just know about char* and are ignorant of std::string? Who knows.

Go with the language you know best.

*bites the disguised language-war bait* If you do not know any of the languages, I would recommend Java. Doom 3 performance is not an issue here so using C++ would just mean spending lots of extra time working with the debugger. Universities also seem to feel that Java is easier to learn since many of them use it to teach programming.

Visual Basic might be an alternative, but you are probably better off with Java or C++ if you are aiming at becoming a serious programmer. Java and C/C++ both have bigger market shares than VB. Java, C++ and C# also all have more in common with each other than with VB in case you want to learn another language in the future.

C# and VB.NET will force each player to download a 20 MB runtime environment for .NET apps. The Java runtime environment from Sun is 9 MB and might be needed if the user does not already have a VM installed in his browser. The fact that your game is text-based would also make your Java code suitable for compilation into a native binary using compilers such as GCJ or JET, something that would mean that a runtime environment is not be necessary to run the game.

[edited by - HenryAPe on August 14, 2002 2:33:51 PM]

I hate to rain on your parade Henry, but I'm pretty sure VB has a gargantuan following compared to Java and C/C++. I suspect it is because it has generally been faster and cheaper to develop most business solutions with VB (because lets face it, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use VB )

Admittedly, more new projects will move to Java and the .NET languages and whatnot, but there is still that massive VB codebase floating around to be maintained *shudder*

I did a quick search... here is the first survey i came across on google (I didn't bother looking for longer than a minute or two)

Edit - fixed link

[edited by - Bad Monkey on August 14, 2002 10:13:41 PM]

I couldn''t recommend any of those 3 languages. Neither VB or C++ are great for text stuff, and I don''t know Java''s text-handling facilities well enough to comment. I would second the call for Python though, as that''s pitched somewhere in the middle of all those 3 languages and is good both for beginners and for text processing.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

quote:
Original post by razza
I would say java. You would barely have to learn anything if it is text based, and you could put it both online as an applet or offline as an application.
Agreed. The ability to put your game on a web page for very easy playability is a *huge* plus. Not many will bother downloading a text-based RPG, but playing one in a browser sounds reasonable. It''d also immediately work on Mac and Linux.

C/C++ is definitely the wrong language since it''s generally slower to code with and you don''t need the raw power in a text-based RPG. VB is an alternative too, but I don''t simply see any good reason to use it over Java. I''ve programmed hundreds of small programs with Basic but now I''m over with it; with Java it''s as fast or faster to make those small applications. And isn''t VB Windows only? Something like that should die

Can''t comment about Python since I know nothing about it.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Since all of you had some good arguments I don`t know what to use! I am an experienced programmer if any of you think I`m a beginner. I think I`ll use Java, no VB. I don`t know! I am going to eliminate VC++. I know how to programn in VB and java and their both easy!
So confusing. I need more replies.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Since all of you had some good arguments I don`t know what to use! I am an experienced programmer if any of you think I`m a beginner. I think I`ll use Java, no VB. I don`t know! I am going to eliminate VC++. I know how to programn in VB and java and their both easy!

If you find Java easy then you should be able to pick up C++ in no time. This is of course if you aren''t confusing Java with java-script, which are two different languages.

LISTEN UP HERE!!! Go with Java man. Y''now why? Lemme tell ya somethin...My "cousins, cousin" made (mainly) text based game and stuck it online. Originally he charged a little bit of money to play it but not anymore. But anyways he mad a few thousand dollars off of it!!! He''s like 18 i think only! Think about it! If you want to see the game go to Highdescent.com and register. (Personally I couldn''t even figure out how to play this game, and I hated it for that) but since he made good $$$ off of it, It doesn''t matter if it sucked or not.

Has anyone used Haskell? It''s a functional programming language, very different to most other things but very good for strings/lists. Interestingly it does not support loops, or variables really either!

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3

John 3:16

I''m working on a MUD engine in C++. You don''t know anything about heavy string editing in C++ until you''ve written a function to replace a string with another string inside a string.

This is NOT something I would want to do in a language slower then C++. You might think text processing can''t tax the processor that much, but you would be surprised. Especially when you start dealing with objects in the database inheriting stuff from other objects.

And, of course, there is the size of the Database itself. Tens of thousands of objects. *shudder*