VisualBasic, Java, Or VisualC++? That is the question

Started by
29 comments, last by Zido 21 years, 8 months ago
I`m creating a RPG text-based game right now and I already have it all planned out. Now what language will it be great programmed in? I need some answers from experienced programmers. Well, I can take some from non programmers too.
If you are reading this, then you are too attached to signatures!!
Advertisement
Whats the difference? Are you doing the programming? The language really does not matter, it is only a tool. Use what ya know.
If its just text-based, you might as well do it in java. Then make it into an applet so we can play it online!
Visual Basic has some of the best text editing function of any language. And if you using VB.net you can write to a console window just like in C. What''s also nice is that VB.net uses something called a string builder, which lets you modify strings very fast. IMHO I think VB is your best choice.

Horny Farmer (Jolly Rancher)
I wouldgo for VB if it''s just text. would''nt take to long. but you could write it in perl or python with not much hassle.
Python would be my suggestion. But the real question is: What do you want to learn?

"It is precisely because it is fashionable for Americans to know no science, even though they may be well educated otherwise, that they so easily fall prey to nonsense. They thus become part of the armies of the night, the purveyors of nitwittery, the retailers of intellectual junk food, the feeders on mental cardboard, for their ignorance keeps them from distinguishing nectar from sewage."
Isaac Asimov
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
C++ is the best, you know the rest. Write it in C++.
No Sign!!!
No for just text, i agree, Visual Basic. However if you want to move on from creating your RPG to making other, better games (such as graphical ones) you definitely need to make it in C/C++ just as a learning experience... But if you don''t plan to do so and just want to make this one text game, yeah, VB is the fastest/easiest...
---DirectX gives me a headache.
visual basic definately
C#. It has a similar syntax to C++ and Java, has access to the same .NET framework classes as VB.NET (i.e. StringBuilder), and has a stronger syntax than VB.NET.

If that isn''t an option, then unless you know C++/Java, do the VB route. Personally, I''d write the RPG in C++ w/STL or C#.

Regards,

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement