• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fuzztrek

Beginning Direct3D 8.1

This topic is 5815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I am beginning direct3D, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a book on the subject. I was looking at "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming".. is that any good? I have done very very basic direct3D and some direct draw stuff, but for the direct3D stuff i didn''t really understand it (i could get it working and manipulate it, but I have questions.. like, should the vector be transformed or untransformed? etc) If you could recommend me a book to help me with direct 3D that would be great! Thanks!! - Fuzztrek PS: I hope you don''t consider this a waste of forum space, i''ve looked in the beginning section and stuff =) ¬_¬

Advertisement
Well, "Beginning D3D Game Programming" is not what I can recommend to a beginner. I´ve learned (what I know now) DX using the SDK and asking around. If I would have to recommend a book I would say "Programming Role Playing Games in DirectX" by jim Adams. He shows you everything you need to know to make a rpg using all of dx´s components. Of course if your not interested in making a roleplaying game you will learn enough to make almost any type of game.

Hope this helps!

Bad Monkey Productions

Thanks! I will look into that book. I''m not that interested in making RPG''s (more so 3D RTS), but I dont'' really care what type i start off making =)

¬_¬

I have to agree with shakazed. I have both books and even from a beginning directX standpoint, Programming Role-Playing Games is far superior. And as for the RPG aspects of it, it gives you a good basis for whatever type of game you want to make. Myself, I'm working on a 3-D Fighting game.

Chris Z.

[edited by - ZeroEffect on August 14, 2002 10:18:11 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!