Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fuzztrek

Beginning Direct3D 8.1

Hello all, I am beginning direct3D, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a book on the subject. I was looking at "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming".. is that any good? I have done very very basic direct3D and some direct draw stuff, but for the direct3D stuff i didn''t really understand it (i could get it working and manipulate it, but I have questions.. like, should the vector be transformed or untransformed? etc) If you could recommend me a book to help me with direct 3D that would be great! Thanks!! - Fuzztrek PS: I hope you don''t consider this a waste of forum space, i''ve looked in the beginning section and stuff =) ¬_¬

Well, "Beginning D3D Game Programming" is not what I can recommend to a beginner. I´ve learned (what I know now) DX using the SDK and asking around. If I would have to recommend a book I would say "Programming Role Playing Games in DirectX" by jim Adams. He shows you everything you need to know to make a rpg using all of dx´s components. Of course if your not interested in making a roleplaying game you will learn enough to make almost any type of game.

Hope this helps!

Bad Monkey Productions

I have to agree with shakazed. I have both books and even from a beginning directX standpoint, Programming Role-Playing Games is far superior. And as for the RPG aspects of it, it gives you a good basis for whatever type of game you want to make. Myself, I'm working on a 3-D Fighting game.

Chris Z.

[edited by - ZeroEffect on August 14, 2002 10:18:11 AM]