Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jplocster

3DSMAX 4.0 ASCII output and texture coordinates

I am new to 3dsmax Max 4.0 (about 3 to 4 months exp) and have a few questions regarding exporting my geometry with texture coords. I have a DirectX engine that expects texture coordinates with values between 0.0 and 1.0. Whenever I export the geometry to Ascii text (so i can parse and read into my engine) I find that the texture coordinates have values outside of the range 0.0 to 1.0. Are there some settings I can change to tell 3DSMAX the format I want the texture coordinates in? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance. P.S. I am not trying to become a visual artist but rather need a way to test my engine''s compatibility with 3DSMaxs output. I am horrible at drawing and have yet only tried using the standard primitives that come with 3DSMax (torid , rhombus , star, etc..). If I exclude the texture coords everything renders fine and looks just like it did (sans the textures) in 3DSMax.

what format do you use?

Because the texture format is very tricky, depend in the format that you use for export.

In my case, i use ASE format(too ascii) for export 3dsmax 4 to my program and the texture can be used in the next way :

u = u''
v = 1-v''

May be that your texture is not 0-1 range, and in this case you must convert in the common u,v format (how?... depend in the format)

But that is exactly the information that I am looking for. WHERE and HOW in 3DSMax 4.0 do I specify how I would like the texture coordinates formatted? The format that my game engine expects is u,v with values between 0.0 and 1.0. All I want to know is how to make 3DSMax export the texture coordinates in that format.