Mp3s

Started by
6 comments, last by Emexus 21 years, 8 months ago
Hey all. Just a quick question is there any good websites about programming a Mp3 player in c++ coz ive done a few searches and havent come up with anything. hope someone can help me out. cheers.
Advertisement
Answer 1: You can buy the MP3 specification online from MPEG. I think it''ll set you back about $120, but it''s been awhile since I looked.

Answer 2: There are plenty of freely available, C++-compatible MP3 player libraries already out there. Use one of those instead.

*** 500 ERROR ***

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
You might wanna delete your double-post.

If you don''t actually want to code your own mp3 library (not exactly an easy task), you can use one of several free audio libraries, including BASS, FMOD, OpenAL, and Midas. Some of these have a fee for non-freeware use, though.

I don''t know of any resources for writing your own, though they''re certain to exist. You might start by finding a copy of the mp3 format specification.

Later,
ZE.

***INTERNAL SERVER ERROR - 500*** x 6

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

cheers guys.
FMOD
DirectShow is easy, free, and doesn''t add bytes to your executable.
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)
I''ve had nothing but trouble with DirectShow. It might just be me, but FMOD and BASS are both considerably easier, and they don''t require you to install a component like DirectShow. Also, every library you add increases your EXE size. What was that about?

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

sine early versions of directshow mp3 has been a standard filter. any post win98 pc will have directshow installed. directx is pretty standard on any windows installation used for multimedia apps (including winnt with the latest service packs). if your targetting OSes other then windowws i suggest staying away from directly dealing with directx and use a portable sound library.

about other libraries adding bytes to the exe, but dshow not doing such a thing. this is really simple. directshow is installed on ppls pcs and thus does not need to be distributed with your app. when you link to dshow you are only linking to a single function which creates the dshow objects. you could always skip this part and load the dshow dlls directly and call the function or just use COM. other libraries like fmod and badd require you to distribute the library with yoru executable. this adds bytes to the download otherwise you have to get the user to install the library.

dshow is nice if you understand howit works and becareful. i agree its not the easiest beast due to COM and sometimes complex ordering of calls if you try to do advanced stuff, but its quite flexible because of this. fmod or bass cant let you support ANY format media player supports and more without having to code much extra. ie the user installs the dshow ogg filter, now the player supports ogg. installs ac3 filter and you got ac3 support. wma and mp3 come standard as well as wav.

its up to you ultimatly, and you should choose what works for you. just rememebr bass and fmod are not 100% free thus if you plan on every going commercial you will have to pay for usage. this is not true of directshow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement