Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moe

Best way of logging errors?

For my 4 Elements contest entry, I was logging my errors to a file using the simple class that I had created: In the header file:

//----------------------------------------//

// logfile.h - header for error logging

//

//ifndef it so it doesn''t get included more than once

#ifndef _LOGFILE_H_
#define _LOGFILE_H_

//includ the necessary files for the input/output

#include <iostream.h>		//input/output stuff
#include <fstream.h>		//more i/o stuff 

//return types for the scripting

const int LOGFILE_OK		= 0;
const int LOGFILE_BAD		= 1;

//the logfile class - creates a file and logs all the information on 

//how the program behaves to it

class LOGFILE
{
public:
	~LOGFILE();
	ofstream outfile;

int CreateLogFile(const char* FileName);
	int LogtoFile(char Outputstring[256]);
	void CloseLogFile();

};

#endif //for _LOGFILE_H_

In the cpp file:

// logfile.cpp - main file for error logging

//

//do the usual...

#include "logfile.h"

//--------------------------------------------------//

// Name: ~LOGFILE()

// Desc: destructor that closes the logfile

LOGFILE::~LOGFILE()
{
	//close the file

outfile.close();

}

// Name: CreateLogFile()

// Desc: function that creates a file for logging 

int LOGFILE::CreateLogFile(const char* FileName)
{
	//create the file and test if it was made ok

outfile.open(FileName);

if(!outfile)
	{
		return LOGFILE_BAD;
	}

//return ok

return LOGFILE_OK;
};

// Name: LogtoFile()

// Desc: function that puts a string to the file 

int LOGFILE::LogtoFile(char OutputString[256])
{
	//output it to the file and flush it so it doesn''t

//get lost if the program messes up

outfile<<OutputString;
	outfile.flush();

//return ok

return LOGFILE_OK;
}

// Name: CloseLogFile()

// Desc: closes down the logfile, if it hasn''t been already.

// Note: If this function doesn''t get called, the destructor will handle things

void LOGFILE::CloseLogFile()
{
	//close the file

outfile.close();

}

Now to post something in the logfile, I would do something like:

logfile.LogtoFile("D3D - Unable to find a supported backbuffer format \n");

This is all find and dandy, and it works just fine, but it doesn''t seem like a very good way of logging errors. It seems to take quite a bit just to say one little thing to the logfile. Not only that, but my output strings are limited to 256 characters (I could increase that, but it just seems inefficient to me). Is there a better way to log errors to a file? How do you other people do it? Moe''s site

You use a logging class, like you have done. There really isn''t a transparent way to log events in your program. This way is the most flexable, as it allows you to change the format of your log output by only changing a few functions, and it''s portable across multiple projects if you design it right - consistency there.

take a look at my CLog class (note that i also have a CLogManager, but u don't really need that). i posted src to it somewhere, i will look and edit this post when i find it. so don't lose hope, i'm here to help!

just gotta post something (it kept timing out, gonna try again now) quickly...

ps. there are at least three advantages in my CLog class over urs: no limit on message-to-be-logged length; it accepts custom number of params; and log will be fine even if ur program blue-screens (therefore outfile.close() will never get called), no data will be lost (cuz it might just log things to the buffer, instead of the actual file on ur hd).
ps2. great, now even this keeps timing out! i hate these forums! >:-( it's impossible to post anything! gives me error 500.

edit: download it here. hope it helps you.

---
shurcool
wwdev

[edited by - shurcool on August 13, 2002 5:59:03 PM]

My error log class:

// log.h

ofstream &getErrorLog ();
// log.cpp

ofstream &getErrorLog ()
{
static ofstream theLog ("ErrLog.txt");
return theLog;
}

Don''t really see why you''d need more than that.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you want to make your logfile class a little easier to use in program (especially passing around the logfile object) You can either make everything in it static, or move to a non-class based approach, which can still be just as modular. The downside to this method is you can then only have one logfile, instead of the possibilities of multiples.

The real improvement you can do however is with your LogToFile function. You can make this function similar to C''s printf functions, which will make posting messages easier since you won''t have to build the strings before passing them in. Basically what I''m saying here is that you can add the ability to pass more information than just a static string without having to build the cstring by hand.

Finally my last suggestion is that you get rid of them max array size of 256. You will probably never try to print a line longer than that but it costs you nothing to make it an open size. So just use:
char* outputstring
instead of
char outputstring[256]

did u even take a look at my CLog class? i dunno, maybe you just missed it because i edited my post, not made another one. =/

i just wanted to reply to what AP said above me. it''s all good using char*, but that''s just C-style. move on, learn the benefits of C++. it''s not "C, just with classes". my point? use std::string instead of usual-C-null-terminated-char-sequences.

---
shurcool
wwdev

Certain cases, I would love to close and re-append my file for every line of logs to reduce lost cluster... because of the flushing problems don''t mix well with reboot. .... but that slows thing down.

quote:
Original post by DerekSaw
Certain cases, I would love to close and re-append my file for every line of logs to reduce lost cluster... because of the flushing problems don''t mix well with reboot. .... but that slows thing down.

flush does exactly that.

---
shurcool
wwdev

quote:
Original post by shurcool
flush does exactly that.

I don''t think the ''flush'' really do an actual write to the disk. The OS cached it all and decides when to do it. Unless you are calling a low-level flush (is it _commit()?)... I guess.

flush writes to the file the contents of the stream. So yes, if the program were to abnormally terminate without closing the stream, you''d still have your log data. However, in the fflush() documentation, it says you can link with COMMODE.OBJ to skip the operating system''s buffering and write directly to the file without the flush.