Should I get XP or 2000?

Started by
35 comments, last by d000hg 21 years, 8 months ago
I currently have WinME, but want to get VC++.NET which needs the NT core. So I have two choices. My system is 750MHz with 128Mb. The things I consider important: 1)cost - I am a student can I get cheap versions (UK)? I heard XP youhad to keep paying monthly? 2)Resource hogging. 3)Capturing errors - I want something that will catch as many errors as possible (memory leaks primarily). 4)Good DX support - does 2000 have DX 8.1 and will future DX and video drivers have a version for 2000 - does it use the 9X or XP drivers? Read about my game, project #1 NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3 John 3:16
Advertisement
Buy another 128MB RAM & XP
No sense in buying 2000 when XP is already out - there''s no monthly fee. W2k is based on the NT core, it uses W2k drivers.

With Windows NT, you can never have too much RAM - well, no sense buying more than 3GB - but buy more if you afford it.

Some games don''t run well with less than 512 (like EverQuest), and VS.Net eats up about 80MB on a moderate sized project.

Dx8 & Dx8.1 support is good on both 2k & XP, I imagine 9 will work on 2k as well. Probably not Dx10.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by d000hg
My system is 750MHz with 128Mb.

You want a least 256mb to run XP.

1)cost - I am a student can I get cheap versions (UK)? I heard XP youhad to keep paying monthly?

No, you don''t pay for XP monthly. If you are enrolled in a college or university you may get some sort of discount /?free? on 2000, XP or both.

2)Resource hogging.

Yes, XP uses more resources than 2000, but you can reduce the difference by turning off the Mac''esque eye candy garbage.

3)Capturing errors - I want something that will catch as many errors as possible (memory leaks primarily).

Same kernal, they will mostly capture the same number of errors though XP might have one or two things added.

4)Good DX support - does 2000 have DX 8.1 and will future DX and video drivers have a version for 2000 - does it use the 9X or XP drivers?

Both support 8.1. When DX9 comes out it will likely be either the same driver for 2000 and XP (with a seperate driver for 98/ME) or a 2 different service packs. Microsoft is no going to drop support for 2000 for some time (likely 5 years before they phase it out).

If you get a memory upgrade XP is likely what you want (unless you are choosing between XP Home and 2000 Pro, which is debateble). Its basically Windows 2000 with added features (there are already apps which are XP only because they need those features).

If you want to use the PC to play games, you''ll run into more issues with 2K than XP. GTA3 BSOD''s my 750Mhz Duron computer after about 10 minutes.

I also have a P200 running 2K with 96MB of ram.

I have a Windows 98 upgrade CD so I''m able to clean install the much cheaper upgrade edition of Win2K Pro. The Windows ME upgrade CD wasn''t recogized by the Win2K installer.

I don''t have even an upgrade CD of XP to see what older upgrade edition will work to get it installed. WinME may work for it.

You''ll also have to consider cost in those terms as well.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
quote:Original post by Michalson
Its basically Windows 2000 with added features (there are already apps which are XP only because they need those features).

Win2K + bloat = WinXP
quote:Original post by core
Original post by Michalson
Its basically Windows 2000 with added features (there are already apps which are XP only because they need those features).

Win2K + bloat = WinXP

Actually, I think that XP is much, much more usable than Win2k. The memory hit is the only problem - 256mb runs ok, but it isn''t exactly Morris Green - but as RAM is so cheap these days I don''t suppose anyone cares anymore!

The `bloat'' I cannot see personally. Just switch off the desktop skinning and your back in Windows 2000 with some extra *very useful* features (the task windows in explorer etc. for example - which are a real innovation).

Anyway, I can honestly say that I find XP to be an excellent OS - even though many people knock M$ - XP is just about the most stable, usable OS available on any pc platform today.
I find win2k and xp to run about the same number of applications/games. Both can be a bear when you don''t have plenty of ram. If you want a possible performance boost in games despite the risk of your drivers being funny at times, use XP. It has been my experience that 2k has more stable drivers released for it, especially when you have older hardware that was made before xp came out.

Now though, I don''t really know if this can apply, xp has been around long enough for drivers to have been made properly.

Freeware development:
http://www.ruinedsoft.com/
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com
OK, so I should have more RAM. The thing is I don''t want to make my system any more powerful than needed - the more powerful my PC, the more power I waste and my game should not need lots of resources. I want to ensure it''ll run on a 64/128Mb system. Though what Win9X specced pc would be equivalent to a 750MHz, 256Mb with winXP?

I''d not considered the upgrade thing, is that much cheaper bearing in mind student discounts? Also I should really clean-format my PC first as ME has screwed it-can you do that with the upgrade version? Only thing is, I tried XP once but my modem stopped working and my DVD software & XP couldn''t play DVDs (sure it''s meant to?)

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3

John 3:16
Win 2k has had a service pack #3 which pretty much makes it aobut as good as xp, and also, at least you can make a backup cd of 2k.

X4J
X4J
It seems like my computer is similar to yours d000hg. I had a Win98 800mhz Athlon with 128MB. I upgraded to XP yesterday and bought myself an extra stick of RAM to boost myself to 256MB. So far, out of maybe 8 hours of running it I haven''t had problems. When I checked the compatability of my computer is said that I would need new drivers for my 56k, but since I dont use it I can always get them when/if I ever need them.

I''m satisfied with it so far (plus it gives me all these extra toys )

The hackers must have gotten into the system through the hyperlink!!

Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement