Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shadowman13131

Confusion About Game Engines...

Hey, I''m a bit confused as to what exactly a game engine should do. For instance, should the game just call something like CreateObject(Hovercraft_14); and then the engine manages the object and does everything for it, or should the game write specific hovercraft instructions and physics and stuff for the object.. That''s probably not clear, so I''ll try to rephrase it. Should the game either call just that line, CreateObject(Hovercraft_14) and then the engine handles collisions, physics, ect. without ANY extra coding in the game, or should the game have to code a callback for the engine to call which handles the physics for the hovercraft and other pieces of the hovercraft''s behavior. I''m mostly confused about how much an engine should do in relation to the coding on the specific game. Walt

It all really depends on your definitions of "game" and "engine"

Eg, what part does the graphics?
Is the engine in a separate piece of compiled code (eg dll)
Is your engine in a separate thread?

Because it''s really a line in the sand that every game programmer draws on his/her own.
I have a physics function which does all the moving, spawning simple objects like bullets, and clipping, which I''d probably call the engine. Graphics and Sound, Input, GUI interaction etc are all outside of it.