Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheHermit

CListCtrl preparations

Is there any way to fill a CListCtrl class with it''s list, before it appears on screen? There seems to be an ASSERT(::IsWindow(m_hWnd)) at every turn, which aside from being inconvenient is really damned annoying.

Hmmm. Re reading my post it does seem a little vague...

(assume) I have a dialog assigned to CDlgClass. It contains a CListCtrl with ID IDC_FILELIST. It is assigned (through the class wizard) to have a member variable (control) of type CListCtrl called fileList.

So in another function I call the Dialog as so:

{
CDlgClass myDlg;
int result = myDlg.DoModal();
}

which has no problems. However, if i try to initialise the list so it contains some data to begin with, as follows:

{
CDlgClass myDlg;
myDlg.fileList.InsertColumn(0, "First Col");
myDlg.fileList.InsertItem(0, "Blah");
int result = myDlg.DoModal();
}

the program fails in one of the ASSERT''s becuase m_hwnd of the CListCtrl is 0x0. (ie NULL)

Is there any way to navigate around this apparent shortfall?

- Magmai Kai Holmlor: The window is visible by default, but the dialog not shown (as it is through a DoModal()) yet.

Thanks,
TheHermit

you can't operate on a control before it is created. move the init code into WM_INITDIALOG handler for your dialog, at which point the dialog and controls already exist but are not yet visible.

edit: i believe dialog's constructor won't create the dialog (in mfc generally constructors seldom create things). DoModal will not only run a modal loop for the dialog, that call will also set up and tear down the dialog before showing it.

[edited by - niyaw on August 14, 2002 4:04:31 AM]

niyaw - Responding to the suggestion of WM_IN...

It worked. For columns. Right up until I tried to put any data into the table.

Turns out somebody (curse) had (curse) changed (curse) a property in the dialog properties. For no reason (curse).

Anyway, now fixed, Thanks for the help...