Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Madgap

Spawn of Starcon

Please check out my little not-yet-a-game inspired by the combat in Star Control 2. I guess I should call it a tech demo, but there's no new technology here...so I'll just call it "bla". Read the readme for controls...very simple to get into. Please send feedback on "bla" to madgap@aol.com...or just post it here... Here's the link to the file: www.umich.edu/~rkingsle/Star5.zip -Madgap [edited by - Madgap on August 14, 2002 1:26:55 AM]

Here's an updated version of it. Try it out and let me know what you think. The important commands are:
A/D: Rotate ship
W: Thrust forward
E: Lock onto nearest enemy target
Space: Fire gun
Left Ctrl: Fire seeking missile
Esc: Quit

www.umich.edu/~rkingsle/Star5_v3.zip

Needs DirectX 8.1 to run!

-Madgap

[edited by - Madgap on August 26, 2002 12:44:51 PM]

There were two ways I thought of doing the beam weapons.
1) Check for collisions in the direction the beam is firing and make the beam hit whatever collision is closest.

2) Just have the beam automatically aim and hit whatever is targeted.

I went with number 2 because it was a lot less complicated. It automatically hits so there is no real aiming involved. As for drawing it, that''s pretty simple. First find the range to the target. In my case I made the target the surface of the object''s bounding box so that the beam does deep inside the ship. Next I make a polygon with length equal to the range of the target, and a width of 0.5 units. Then I apply a solid colored texture with a gradient alpha map and use additive blending.

Actually, the more difficult part was the sound. I had to have each laser weapon object have its own IDirectMusicSegmentState8 object. I play the laser sound with infinite loops when the laser starts to fire, and then turn it off through the SoundState thing when the laser stops firing.

-Madgap

blueEbola: Thanks, I''m glad you like it!

Snash: The way I have it right now is not ideal for speed. I add a polygon (two triangles) of the appropriate length to the vb, and then use a transformation matrix to rotate and translate it into position. I have to do that for each beam every frame that they are fired. No big deal with only two beams, but I''ll have to fix it later. Eventually I''ll set it up so that all beams in the game are put into a vb at the same time and drawn in one swoop.

Really nice, except for the keyboard layout. My hands were right on top of one another. Very hard to coordinate. Otherwise, impressive.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book

Actually, I had the keyboard set up to be used with just one hand. Little finger on Left Ctrl, thumb on Spacebar. No wonder your hands were overlapping. I''ll add a proper Setup dialog for setting keyboard layout and screen settings. For the past two days I''ve been working on saving and loading the game data to a binary file as well as a simple world editor. I''m not going to release another version until I have the game world partially filled.

whoa , star control 2.
wowowowoowowowowowowo

hmm, your model looks like tradash..

what about cooperative play, like 2 players vs a heirarchy of ur quan. Each player gets a point for each crew he kills. Game over when both players die. winner is the player with the most score.

and every 30 seconds, a new ur quan will appear on the map.

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft

I would love to add cooperative play modes. It would be easy to add keys for another player to control a second ship. The ships in the game can''t "tell" if they are being controlled by the computer or a human. However, I don''t know how I would get the camera to work with two people fighting multiple enemies at the same time. The obvious solution is multiplayer over the internet or LAN or something. However, I unfortunately have no experience with multiplayer programming...

I''m very impressed - very clean + professional!
I''ve been wanting to do something like that for a while

I''ll be thinking of ideas for it tonight

PS: I dont consider myself an expert, but if you find
yourself wanting some help, you can get me on
gregdh@idcorpholdings.co.za
I''d love to help out

Hmmm...I think we may be thinking about two different things. As far as hotseat coop goes: two people on the same keyboard with a single screen fighting together against multiple enemies. My problem is getting the camera to focus on more than two things at one time. I guess I can do it, but it''s going to end up zooming way out a lot of times in order to fit that many people on the screen at one time. I could just focus on the two human players and not worry about their targets...I''ll try that and see what it''s like.

-Madgap

Hmm.. starcon2 didnt have a problem with using that zoom effect because
1) The world was not big enough to zoom out too far
2) There were only 2 ships on a screen at once

I spoke a little too soon about the zooming coop thing - I see your problem after a little thought
I''ll think on it

It looks great!

The program crashed the first time that I ran it, saying that it was failing to load one of the sound files (Sorry I didn''t get the exact message), but I realized later during the installation of another game that I had not yet re-installed Directx 8.1 (I had DX 6 or whichever installes by default with win98se). With DirectX updated, the game ran fine.

Anyway, StarControl was one of my all time favorite games, and you''ve done a great job so far.

-- Aaron

| HollowWorks.com | Rhott.com |