Spawn of Starcon

Started by
21 comments, last by Madgap 21 years, 7 months ago
Please check out my little not-yet-a-game inspired by the combat in Star Control 2. I guess I should call it a tech demo, but there's no new technology here...so I'll just call it "bla". Read the readme for controls...very simple to get into. Please send feedback on "bla" to madgap@aol.com...or just post it here... Here's the link to the file: www.umich.edu/~rkingsle/Star5.zip -Madgap [edited by - Madgap on August 14, 2002 1:26:55 AM]
-Madgap
Advertisement
Oh, and you need DirectX 8.1 and a 3d graphics card to run it.
-Madgap
-Madgap
This is great!!

Very impressed. Nice physics and particle engines, I can''t wait to see this develop into a full game - keep at it!
---DirectX gives me a headache.
I would test it, I really would, but lately most demos I''ve downloaded that have anything to do remotely with graphics crash my computer. I''ll test it as soon as I get some new hardware.

Best regards,
Tony Burns
Here's an updated version of it. Try it out and let me know what you think. The important commands are:
A/D: Rotate ship
W: Thrust forward
E: Lock onto nearest enemy target
Space: Fire gun
Left Ctrl: Fire seeking missile
Esc: Quit

www.umich.edu/~rkingsle/Star5_v3.zip

Needs DirectX 8.1 to run!

-Madgap

[edited by - Madgap on August 26, 2002 12:44:51 PM]
-Madgap
Looks really GOOD!

how did you do the beam weapons?

I''m trying to create a Star Trek like phaser for my astroide clone, using Direct3D..

really nice job
There were two ways I thought of doing the beam weapons.
1) Check for collisions in the direction the beam is firing and make the beam hit whatever collision is closest.

2) Just have the beam automatically aim and hit whatever is targeted.

I went with number 2 because it was a lot less complicated. It automatically hits so there is no real aiming involved. As for drawing it, that''s pretty simple. First find the range to the target. In my case I made the target the surface of the object''s bounding box so that the beam does deep inside the ship. Next I make a polygon with length equal to the range of the target, and a width of 0.5 units. Then I apply a solid colored texture with a gradient alpha map and use additive blending.

Actually, the more difficult part was the sound. I had to have each laser weapon object have its own IDirectMusicSegmentState8 object. I play the laser sound with infinite loops when the laser starts to fire, and then turn it off through the SoundState thing when the laser stops firing.

-Madgap
-Madgap
Thanks for the inside, do you use a matrix to transform the vertices? or do you lock the vertex buffer every time you need it longere/shortere?
That was one beautiful piece of work!

Physics and particles look very good. Overall, its got that feel of "professional game" to it. Keep up the good work =)
blueEbola: Thanks, I''m glad you like it!

Snash: The way I have it right now is not ideal for speed. I add a polygon (two triangles) of the appropriate length to the vb, and then use a transformation matrix to rotate and translate it into position. I have to do that for each beam every frame that they are fired. No big deal with only two beams, but I''ll have to fix it later. Eventually I''ll set it up so that all beams in the game are put into a vb at the same time and drawn in one swoop.
-Madgap

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement