Cel Shaded anime based game - WHY HASNT ANYONE THOUGHT OF THIS?!

Started by
53 comments, last by Teamshibi 21 years, 7 months ago
I was playing with cel shading today and realized something. There are no cel shaded anime based games. Imagine a mech battle game for the GC (most powerful of the consoles) allowing full on anime physics reminiscent of Zone of the Enders with a story like the Gundam wing seris (main character has some serious views that get flipped around in war, nearly driving the player insane - Wait, his best friend goes insane and you have to face him because he starts fighting they who you were sent to fight for. You have to kill your own best friend in cold blood and proceed to get your revenge by killing the leader of the forces your attackings'' leader in an extreme mech battle. I think the physics of Zone of the Enders would work for this game simply because its the only game that did it right. Your huge robotic mech suit would move extremely fast, fly, fire weapons without decreasing speed, etc. As I said it would be cel shaded to give that anime feel. I am trying to do some conceptual art before I start writing a story but I want some pointers, ideas, anything! I seriously plan on making this game (by all means necisary I will try as hard as possible, if I cant do it I know I can prolly sell it to a major game company if I can develop it enough) and you can help! Feedback? Ideas? teamshibi@hotmail.com or feel free to post here.
Advertisement
For a cel shaded anime mecha game check out the upcoming Robotech game for X-Box, Gamecube and PS2. I think that fits the description .
Yes I have seen it. The problem is that not only is it going to have less then acceptible gameplay, but you fly a jet more then an anime mech.
There''s flying and land fighting, you could make a Gundam game with the same gameplay and different mechs. I''m just saying someone has thought of your "great original idea" and it''s being released as a commercial title. Also, how do you know it''s going to have "less than acceptable gameplay," have you played it?
heh, I know simply through learning everything I can about it. The game will be using a jet for increased speed and manuverability that transforms. I don''t know about you but in my oppinion you should be able to go as fast as a jet in your orbital frame, mech, etc. along with having unchalenged manuverability. A story appearntly will be nearly nonexistant in it and personally I know I''d prefer a deep story to a crapy transformer. Just my observations. Take them as you like.
Well, goodluck, I hope your game has a "deep story," just like Gundam Wing...
i'm with you on the gundam-esque deep story but you seem to say that the gamecube was the most powerful console....

edit:spelling correction

[edited by - necromancer_df on August 14, 2002 10:13:36 PM]
well using gundam as a start means you CANT sell it simply because you dont own it unless you change the story enough or are making a parody.

using cell shading for anime style graphics? where have you been man? while jet set radio may not be what you call anime it fits the bill. this was released a while ago. quake3 has a cell shaded anime style model availible for download.

the new zelda game is using cell shaded anime/manga style graphics (even though again not your typical style ppl are used to calling anime/manga).

bomberman uses cell shading with anime style art.

many ppl have thought of this. why do you think some ppl refer to it as toon randering/cell shading? its because the shading is done like a cartoonist would shade a cell.

the new robotech game may or may not be good. however from early impressions of ppl who actually PLAYED the game it seems like it will be quite good. maybe not the deep story of what you want, but great action shooting which is fun.

there is a anime style mech game for the pc which is cell shaded and just had a demo. tsunami 2250 or something.

cell shading is becoming popular because previous companies willing to take the risk made money. also with more powerful hardware its easier to accomplish the effect on a wide variety of scene complexities (ie mulitple colored lights, higher poly counts, more textures, etc).

also firing weapons with decreasing speed is unrealistic (he whole conservation of energy, and every action has an equal and opisite reaction), however it dont mean its not fun.
First off, I fully realise that I couldnt do a gundam game. I know many are using Cel Shading in newer games. Here is my views of it. We have 1 action game with a jet-mech and no story. We have zelda, sweet by all means but the anime resemblance stops at his eyes (if you consider even them anime-like) bomberman, you must be joking; What I am thinking about is an action RPG. Something with a deep story BUT also giving some action fun as well. A full on anime-like mech battle game with a story is something I have not seen and I am saying that there needs to be one. Maybe the creators of Zone of the Enders will see this (lol, that''ll happen) and make something similar. BTW it wont happen but I take no credit for this idea... simply cuz I dun wanna stop someone else from trying it.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I take no credit for this idea... simply cuz I dun wanna stop someone else from trying it.

Don''t worry, I don''t think you''ll stop anyone...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement