Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exellon

Friendly 72-hour GP Contest!

Need Entrants!

This is just your normal Joltfest competing to see who can make the coolest game in 72 hours. Other than some sort of jackpot, there will be no prize, just the satisfaction of knowing you can stay up programming for 72 hours straight. The rules of the contest are as follows: Game Type: anything you want Basis for Judging: creativity, game play, polish Recommended Skill Level: any

Starts: 12 pm GMT Central - ??? Ends: 12 pm GMT Central - ???

The theme of the contest will be announced several minutes before starting time. - Any language you want - You can use models, textures, sounds, etc. from third parties - You can submit multiple entries - Full source code must be submitted - The GDNet contest rule about 3rd party engines/libs - it must be publicly available and/or open source - Scores will be based on creativity, game play, and polish, but NOT necessarily presentation - If there is a jackpot and you work on team, then the money will be split evenly among team members - Entries must run on Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP Once I find a host for the contest then I'll post submission rules. Best regards, Tony Burns [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 1:17:44 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 2:30:44 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 2:31:08 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 2:34:04 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 3:12:28 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 5:18:30 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 5:44:22 PM] [edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 9:49:48 PM]

Count me in :D

btw, when would the contest be held?

so will the jodgement be made only based on gameplay, or does the graphics have some value too? just wondering...

[edited by - angelhart on August 14, 2002 4:53:42 AM]

quote:
Original post by angelhart
Count me in :D

btw, when would the contest be held?

so will the jodgement be made only based on gameplay, or does the graphics have some value too? just wondering...

[edited by - angelhart on August 14, 2002 4:53:42 AM]

I'm guessing since it's only 72 hours that the graphics arent gonna be a factor.

[edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 9:14:30 AM]

[edited by - Exellon on August 14, 2002 10:49:05 AM]

quote:
Original post by DeltaVee
Can we used pre-made models and textures, i.e. download them from some free repository life 3dcafe.com?

[edited by - DeltaVee on August 14, 2002 8:58:48 AM]

Yes

Well, i found it a good idea, until i read your "rules"

quote:

only:
Action shoot-em-up
Mini-RPG

Action shoot-em-up & Mini-RPG are too classic and not appropriate for such short-term projects.
1) Many guys could send projects there were working on for weeks!
2) You can't do a approximately good one from scratch in 72h, exept if you wrote one not too long ago.

quote:

NO FRIGGIN' PUZZLE GAMES!

restrictions like these kills imagination, where is the limit, what is considered as puzzle, what is not?
quote:

No using design documents that were made before the contest starts.

How on earth do you want to check this ?
quote:

Only use of these libs is allowed:

Win32 (duh!)
DirectX
OpenGL

I prefer much more the current GDNet contest rules that says you can use what you want since it's free and open to the public.
Yours means you can't make a java game with Java3D or Java2D for example an many more restrictions. And you have forgot important ones like SDL for example.
quote:

You have to make your own art and 3D models, but you can get sounds from wherever you'd like.

Stupid. Can borrow sound but not art. Something goes wrong...

Well, a 72h contest seemed a good idea to me but such rules keep me far far away from wanting to join!

[edited by - misterX on August 14, 2002 10:33:53 AM]

sounds better, exept the
quote:

You can get resources for the project from wherever you''d like, just so long as the *resources* don''t include source code.

because it''s unecessary and impossible to check. Isn''t programming learning from each other(''s code)?

you just need to set a very specific subject for the "game programming", so that people don''t come with stuff they made or started long ago.
The subject could be for example:
-bouncing balls
-light
-insects
With specific things like this, you can be nearly sure you get brand new original stuff. And not pre-made.
Of course, set the subject at the last moment!

Oh, yeah, I wanted to suggest that making part of the entry requirement a 300x300 screen shot so when it comes time to judge the entrants we can at least see what we are getting before starting 5 MB download and installing crap (I''m thinking of that other gameprogramming contest... cant think of the name though)