Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pochrzas

3D GUI

Hi all! Just asking a (hopefully) simple question about creating a 3D GUI (both as a "title screen" and in-game)...how? Basically, if anyone here owns an XBox, I''m referring to something similar to the main menu after it boots up (something similar to this: http://www.xbox.com/explore/low/launch_low.htm) ... it has somewhat-static images linked together in a (possibly-pseudo) 3D environment...how would one go about creating such a monster (in an OpenGL environment)? Any type of possible implementation schemes are welcome...i.e. (render the entire scene in 3ds max and treat it like a normal scene with the transitions as simple animations between keyframes? make .avi''s for the transitions and play them between 2D scenes?) I dunno - just hoping someone can provide some insight...thanks! Phil Pochrzast University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

I think you could make that entirely in OpenGL without having to go to MAX and it wouldn''t be very hard at all...
That intro is made in Flash and it''s very weak compared to what some of the Flash sites I''ve seen.
All you would need to do in OpenGL is have a nicely rendered scene with the camera in the middle and make some simple rotations and translations...
Anyway, I would do it in OpenGL and wouldn''t go to MAX for something as simple as that.

My $0.02