Video Game Addiction or Self-Discipline?

Started by
5 comments, last by Sage13 21 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I'm writing an essay for game design class and I just wanted some general feedback on your personal opinitions. thanx -Sage13 Addiction or Self-Discipline? Electronic gaming today is addictive. Nay. The minds of human beings have, throughout the centuries, always fallen to the captivation of “something”. Video games are no different, as their popularity stems from providing a diverse and interactive escape into an illusionary world. Video games are the digital equivalent to an engrossing novel for a reader. They are the modern day Casablanca for the movie fanatic and the well-woven ‘wig’ for the bourgeoisie. However, electronic gaming today cannot be considered truly addictive due to the lack of physical influence it has on the human body, and the luscious nature of mankind. Video games cannot be considered truly addictive, firstly because they lack the physiological dependencies synonymous with the use of alcohol or drugs. Unlike these substances, electronic gaming is purely psychological. The human body does not become abnormal functionally, due to the introduction of a physical stimulant into the system, by playing electronic games. The closest response that video games can produce is the stimulation of various hormones that the body naturally produces. These hormones are also stimulated by many other activities and so become an unreliable variable in determining the addictive nature of video games alone. As stated by Ernest Adams in an article about video games and addiction; “Psychological addiction is a behavioral problem: performance of the behavior (smoking, gambling, using the Internet, etc.) becomes a comforting, anxiety-relieving part of a daily routine.” –Gamasutra: Designers Notebook ( http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20020727/adams_01.htm) Being a “behavior problem”, video games psychological effects will vary from individual to individual, but this dose not qualify it as being truly addictive. The overall self-control level and lack of moderation in the individuals who populate the game market is the actual catalyst for this psychological attachment. This in turn, may give some insight into the real problem. Video games cannot be considered addictive, secondly due to the luscious nature of mankind. Humans have never failed at participating in the extremes of the latest trends. From racism to beanie babies, the mental state of the parties involved has always leaned towards the disband of common sense and control. The individuals instead choose to dive into the emotions that arise within them, relishing in the adrenaline and stimuli associated with the activity. The irresponsibility of mankind to gauge its own actions is the true cause of obsessive, compulsive, and unregulated game play; what some have labeled as addiction. Due to the lack of physical influence it has on the human body and the luscious nature of mankind, electronic gaming today cannot be considered truly addictive. The extremities of the compulsive playing of video games rests in the hands of those who choose to embark into these ventures. Video games alone will not and cannot control this factor of human choice. Video games are at best a tool for distraction that offers, to some prospective party, an experience in which they may enjoy; the limits to which are non-existent. If video games are considered an addictive act due to their habitual comfort then bathing must also be considered an addiction. -Sage13 Liquid Moon Team Project X2 [edited by - Sage13 on August 14, 2002 9:13:34 AM]
Advertisement
Some people have a problem with thinking too much about things. They can't help it, and it interferes with their attitudes. It's kind of like an addiction. Otherwise, they would just stop when they know it's becoming troublesome.

It's also important to make the distinction between what an addiction is and what is simply repetitive behavior. Bathing is repetitive but necessary and usually chosen behavior. Not everyone would suffer withdrawal if they went a few days without it (although some might freak and others might strangely avoid you)

When your mind naturally wanders to wanting to do something specific such that it interferes with everyday living (if you are forced to stop, it bothers your "system"), doesn't that constitute a kind of addiction?

I guess what I'm saying is that the idea of addiction isn't always of that which is physically harmful, but it can also be in some way personally disruptive, either from getting too much of it or being forced to be away from it for a time. There are documented cases of children being irritable and even occasionally lashing out when deprived of video games for a time. Some experts would consider those children addicted.

Video game designers make games that are in some cases inherently addictive by involving a lot of repetitive behavior.

If what you're saying is that to be truly addictive, it must be a threat to everyone, then I would agree, video games are not inherently addictive. But it is easy to become addicted to them if you don't have, for example, other self-affirming activities going on in your life.

[edited by - Waverider on August 14, 2002 10:55:55 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Looks good to, I actually thought you copied and pasted it as part of your sig. Just a spelling error or two in there, and you''re set.

As to suggestions, I''d say that when I was "addicted" to Ragnarok Online, I was upset at losing it when they shut it down recently, almost for an entire day. I guess you might call that withdrawl.

Or not. Good article, though.

-TSwitch
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
Your message talking about how video games could not be considered truely addictive was very interesting and eloquently written. However, lets face it you are talking bollox.

Some videogames are addictive ''addictive'' is the correct word to describe them.

Also, Alcohol isn''t physically addictive either, but its still addictive.
Thanx for the replys. I''m not really so one sided on this issue, but I have to hold a position for this essay, so it''s either a Yay or Nay and why.

I''ll fix those mistakes I made as well.

thanx again

-Sage13

Liquid Moon Team

Project X2

Growth is an addiction, but noone seems to mind.
Not sure where you''re from, but if you hail from Ontario, theres a news serial thats going to be on the news September 1st, called "First Person Shooters" and it focuses on this very topic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement