Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lews

Best Open Source 3D Engine to Play With

It has just recently come to my attention the Quake II engine was GPL''ed (Guess I''ve been living under a rock). This is great news to me because I''ve recently become interested in writing little 3D games. Are there any other really great, easy to pick up on 3D engines out there at are free? Has any one here played with some of them? Which have you guys found the easiest to modify for your own purposes? Which have the most features? The biggest bonus I see to the Q2 code over other open source 3D engines is that it also comes with the network code. I don''t suppose the Unreal engine has been GPL''ed?

OGRE (object-oriented graphics rendering engine) is a great one. i learned lots of things from it. note that it's 100% oo (object-oriented).

btw, don't name this thread "best open source 3d engine to play with", because there is no best. there's only good.

---
shurcool
wwdev

[edited by - shurcool on August 14, 2002 10:47:39 AM]

the unreal engine won''t be GPLd for a LONG time. There are still many many sales of the game and the mod community is very active. In addition it''s essentially the foundation for the ''new and improved'' unreal engine, used in UT2003 and Unreal 2 - i doubt they''d want people taking their code and making such powerful engines out of it...

quote:
Original post by shurcool
OGRE (object-oriented graphics rendering engine) is a great one. i learned lots of things from it. note that it''s 100% oo (object-oriented).

btw, don''t name this thread "best open source 3d engine to play with", because there is no best. there''s only good.

---
shurcool
wwdev

[edited by - shurcool on August 14, 2002 10:47:39 AM]

No, my engine is best.

Guest Anonymous Poster
www.radonlabs.de has the best opensource engine I''ve ever seen. And it''s even being used to create a professional game title. AND it''s not as outdated as the rest of these "free" engines.

i agree with the AP, radon labs has created a superb engine
in the Nebula Device.. its kinda difficult to use at first
and its structured unlike any engine i''ve ever seen (node
based heirarchy), but the things you can do with it are
quite amazing. the genesis 3d engine is dead.. dont even bother
with it. the code is pretty unreadable and it''s quite dated.
the makers of gen3d sold the rights to Wild Tangent (who created
the wild tangent web driver with it), and the original maker of
gen3d created a new (and much better) engine called Jet3D.
OGRE is a good one for object oriented fanatics, and i also
recommend Crystal Space.. it''s pretty far along.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::