• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrunkenBastard

Help w/ Creating a Primary Surface in DX.

This topic is 5787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am going through Tricks of Windows Game Programming Gurus and have got to chapter 6 which deals with setting up DirectDraw. Now everything was fine until I tryed to create a primary surface. As always I am stuck . So if any of you would be kind enough to help me again(im retarded) I would be verry greatful. anyway heres the code:

// DirectX setup *********************************************************************************

LPDIRECTDRAW7			lpdd7 = NULL;
LPDIRECTDRAWPALETTE		lpddPal = NULL;
LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7	lpddsPrimary = NULL;

DDSURFACEDESC2			ddsd;

// MS recommends clearing out struct

memset(&ddsd, 0, sizeof(ddsd));

ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd);
ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS;
ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE;

// GameInit **************************************************************************************

int GameInit(void *parms, int iNumParms){

// Initialize here

int i; // loop counter

// Create Palette for use with 256 color//////////////////////////

PALETTEENTRY pePalette[256];

// fill pallette with color

for(i = 0; i < 256; i++)
	{

pePalette[i].peRed = i;
		pePalette[i].peGreen = i;
		pePalette[i].peBlue = i;

pePalette[i].peFlags = PC_NOCOLLAPSE;

}// end for

// Init DDraw ///////////////////////////////////////////////////

if(FAILED(DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (void**)&lpdd7, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL)))
	{

//error

ErrorMsg("DirectDrawCreateEx Failed");
		return(0);

}// end if

if(FAILED(lpdd7->SetCooperativeLevel(gMainHWND,
										 DDSCL_FULLSCREEN | DDSCL_ALLOWMODEX |
										 DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE  | DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Failed to set windows cooperation level");
		return(0);
	}

if(FAILED(lpdd7->SetDisplayMode(gdwScreenWidth, gdwScreenHeight,
								    gdwScreenBPP, gdwScreenRefresh, 0)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Failed to set Display Mode");
		return(0);
	}

// Initialize our palette ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

if(FAILED(lpdd7->CreatePalette(DDPCAPS_8BIT | DDPCAPS_ALLOW256 | DDPCAPS_INITIALIZE,
								   pePalette, &lpddPal, NULL)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Failed to Create Color Palette");
		return(0);
	}

// Create primary surface

if(FAILED(lpdd7->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &lpddsPrimary, NULL)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Could not create primary surface");
	}

return(0);

}// end GameInit

// GameShutDown **********************************************************************************

int GameShutDown(void *parms, int iNumParms){

if(lpdd7)
	{
		lpdd7->Release();
		lpdd7 = NULL;
	}// end if

if(lpddPal)
	{
		lpddPal->Release();
		lpddPal = NULL;
	}

if(lpddsPrimary)
	{
		lpddsPrimary->Release();
		lpddsPrimary = NULL;
	}

return(0);

}// end GameShutDown

and here is the error:

--------------------Configuration: DirectDraw - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
DirectDraw.cpp
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(33) : error C2501: 'memset' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(33) : error C2373: 'memset' : redefinition; different type modifiers
        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\string.h(103) : see declaration of 'memset'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(33) : error C2078: too many initializers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2501: 'ddsd' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2371: 'ddsd' : redefinition; different basic types
        C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(32) : see declaration of 'ddsd'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2501: 'ddsd' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2371: 'ddsd' : redefinition; different basic types
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2501: 'ddsd' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2371: 'ddsd' : redefinition; different basic types
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
Error executing cl.exe.

DirectDraw.exe - 15 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------------------------------------------------

if I take out the memset line in my code the top 3 errors go away, but I don't think leaving that out would be good, and I'm stumped on the rest of them. So if any of you know the answer to this I would be greatly appreciative. p.s. Thanks to everyone who has taken time to answer my questions in the past. [edited by - DrunkenBastard on August 14, 2002 10:48:11 AM]

Advertisement

You''re trying to initialize the ddsd structure outside of a function, which won''t work. You have to move that block of code (the one with ''memset'' in it) into GameInit().

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!