Help w/ Creating a Primary Surface in DX.

Started by
2 comments, last by DrunkenBastard 21 years, 8 months ago
I am going through Tricks of Windows Game Programming Gurus and have got to chapter 6 which deals with setting up DirectDraw. Now everything was fine until I tryed to create a primary surface. As always I am stuck . So if any of you would be kind enough to help me again(im retarded) I would be verry greatful. anyway heres the code:

// DirectX setup *********************************************************************************

LPDIRECTDRAW7			lpdd7 = NULL;
LPDIRECTDRAWPALETTE		lpddPal = NULL;
LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7	lpddsPrimary = NULL;

DDSURFACEDESC2			ddsd;

// MS recommends clearing out struct

memset(&ddsd, 0, sizeof(ddsd));

ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd);
ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS;
ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE;

// GameInit **************************************************************************************

int GameInit(void *parms, int iNumParms){

// Initialize here

int i; // loop counter

// Create Palette for use with 256 color//////////////////////////

PALETTEENTRY pePalette[256];

// fill pallette with color

for(i = 0; i < 256; i++)
	{

pePalette[i].peRed = i;
		pePalette[i].peGreen = i;
		pePalette[i].peBlue = i;

pePalette[i].peFlags = PC_NOCOLLAPSE;

}// end for

// Init DDraw ///////////////////////////////////////////////////

if(FAILED(DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (void**)&lpdd7, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL)))
	{

//error

ErrorMsg("DirectDrawCreateEx Failed");
		return(0);

}// end if

if(FAILED(lpdd7->SetCooperativeLevel(gMainHWND,
										 DDSCL_FULLSCREEN | DDSCL_ALLOWMODEX |
										 DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE  | DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Failed to set windows cooperation level");
		return(0);
	}

if(FAILED(lpdd7->SetDisplayMode(gdwScreenWidth, gdwScreenHeight,
								    gdwScreenBPP, gdwScreenRefresh, 0)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Failed to set Display Mode");
		return(0);
	}

// Initialize our palette ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

if(FAILED(lpdd7->CreatePalette(DDPCAPS_8BIT | DDPCAPS_ALLOW256 | DDPCAPS_INITIALIZE,
								   pePalette, &lpddPal, NULL)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Failed to Create Color Palette");
		return(0);
	}

// Create primary surface

if(FAILED(lpdd7->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &lpddsPrimary, NULL)))
	{
		//error

ErrorMsg("Could not create primary surface");
	}

return(0);

}// end GameInit

// GameShutDown **********************************************************************************

int GameShutDown(void *parms, int iNumParms){

if(lpdd7)
	{
		lpdd7->Release();
		lpdd7 = NULL;
	}// end if

if(lpddPal)
	{
		lpddPal->Release();
		lpddPal = NULL;
	}

if(lpddsPrimary)
	{
		lpddsPrimary->Release();
		lpddsPrimary = NULL;
	}

return(0);

}// end GameShutDown

and here is the error:

--------------------Configuration: DirectDraw - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
DirectDraw.cpp
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(33) : error C2501: 'memset' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(33) : error C2373: 'memset' : redefinition; different type modifiers
        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\string.h(103) : see declaration of 'memset'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(33) : error C2078: too many initializers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2501: 'ddsd' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2371: 'ddsd' : redefinition; different basic types
        C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(32) : see declaration of 'ddsd'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(34) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2501: 'ddsd' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2371: 'ddsd' : redefinition; different basic types
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(35) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2501: 'ddsd' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2371: 'ddsd' : redefinition; different basic types
C:\DirectDraw\DirectDraw.cpp(36) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
Error executing cl.exe.

DirectDraw.exe - 15 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------------------------------------------------

if I take out the memset line in my code the top 3 errors go away, but I don't think leaving that out would be good, and I'm stumped on the rest of them. So if any of you know the answer to this I would be greatly appreciative. p.s. Thanks to everyone who has taken time to answer my questions in the past. [edited by - DrunkenBastard on August 14, 2002 10:48:11 AM]
Advertisement

You''re trying to initialize the ddsd structure outside of a function, which won''t work. You have to move that block of code (the one with ''memset'' in it) into GameInit().
Also it looks like you don''t #include any of the necessary headers.

It''s time to learn the basics of C instead of jumping into DirectX.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Thank you verry much Torin that worked.

siaspete: I didn''t post my headder code, so I don''t know what you think I''m not including???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement