Is it legal to use CDDA format?

Started by
4 comments, last by brewknowc 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am trying to make an app that converts cdda (audio cd) to wav files. (Yeah i know there are tons of them out there already), but I wanted to know if I try to sell this app, is it legal to do so, or does someone own the patents to cdda, like mp3''s. Thanks BC - Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
Advertisement
From what I can gather, it is legal to use it.
Roxio however are currently pressing legal matters on the topic but thats for similar software titles and not use of it.
yep, perfectly legal to use. you cant trademark/patent/copyright file formats or file systems. since they are neither a name, nor a process, nor a work.

the mp3 patent on the other hand is not a patent for the file format, but the psychoacustic model used for compression, and then later decompression.

you can sell the app, but you better add something damn good. winme and higher (maybe even win98) allow cd-da audio extraction for playback by default. there are also TONS of free sudio rippers out there.

as for the roxi lawsuit, that is not even wirth mentioning. it has nothing to do with cd-da. cd-da is not trademarked at all. no company controls its use. roxio is suing Poikosoft because they are calling their app "Easy CD-DA Extractor" which is quite similar to the Roxi app called "Easy CD Creator". it has nothing to do with anything brewknowc might do except if he decides to name it "Easy CD-DA Ripper" or something simlar to another trademarked name. dont bring in useless information that may confuse the topic of the use of the term CD-DA or creating cd audio extraction software.

oh well this thread has gone on quite long already since this very question has been answered in other topics started by brewknowc. the answer has not changed.
The format is free to use. However, the "compact disc digital audio" logo found on most CDs is trademarked, and I''m pretty sure you need a license from Phillips before using it.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
great, thanks everyone

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
"a person", do you actually read posts or just assume ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement