Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VC++ compilation question, VC++ newbie

This topic is 5599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i am working on this huge project. i use VC++ every time i change a little thing in a file, VC++ compiles all of the files (about 100 files) how can i make it so it just compiles the changed file and link to the other files that are already compiled? thanks

Are you using an IDE?

PS - just curious - how come you''re working on a 100-file project if you''re just a newbie? I''ve never got past 15-20 and I
''ve been writing code for a few years now...

Crispy

i used to do all my programming on a unix box
i got a new job and i was given a project from this guy who had the job before me.
that is all
what is IDE?

[edited by - carbon14 on August 14, 2002 2:58:21 PM]

IDE = Integrated Development Environment aka the text editor + a bunch of tools wrapped around your compiler to make your life easier . Since you can compile/link stuff by pressing F7, you obviously have an IDE. A compiler in itself is usually a command line application, separate from the linker and the only automation you can have is through make or batch files.

As to your problem: I''ve never used VC++ (I have a Borland C++ IDE), but there should probably be somekind of a choice around to: 1) always build, 2) build when out of date, 3) never build (that''s what my IDE has under Preferences). Browse around.

Hope this helps,
Crispy

quote:
Original post by carbon14
Hi,
i am working on this huge project.
i use VC++
every time i change a little thing in a file, VC++ compiles all of the files (about 100 files)
how can i make it so it just compiles the changed file and link to the other files that are already compiled?
thanks

Here's the right answer to your question( which I'm suprised no one could give you ).
In the Visual Studio IDE, open your project then:

click on Project->Settings->Link( it's a tab ).
Select the General category
put a check mark in Link Incrementally

It will need to recompile all files the first time and then, when you modify one of the files it will only recompile that one and then link it to the project. I make extensive use of that option in my projects.

"DaHjajmajQa'jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

[edited by - cyberdrek on August 14, 2002 10:38:18 PM]