Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sergei Eliseev

I’ve just released my OpenGL game. Release version

Hi, I've just released my OpenGL game. You can download it here: http://mirror1.sunnygames.com/download/BrixoutXP_Demo_v10.exe (4.5 Meg) Description of the game, engine and screenshots can be found here: http://www.sunnygames.com/brixout.html In case of any problem feel free to get in touch at mailto:support@sunnygames.com Any feedback is really appreciated. [edited by - Sergei Eliseev on September 1, 2002 4:31:52 PM]

The main problem I ran into was that on occasion a powerup failed to take effect when I was positive I got it. (I did notice when the powerups slipped.) Also, multiball powerups never let me go over 4 balls, even when I got a x4 and a x2.

As for suggestions, how about bricks that send the ball off in a random direction (warp bricks?) or bricks that send it off at an angle from a certain side (triangle bricks)? Also, it might be nice to have a chain lightning ball, which would destroy any bricks of the same type as the one that was destroyed that touched it.

I''ve just released update to the demo. You can download it here:

mirror1.sunnygames.com/download/BrixoutXP_Demo_v097.exe (4.7 Mb)

In this version:
- fixed bug with some models of TFT monitors;
- motion of the camera was made smoother;
- added EXTRA-LIFE feature;
- fixed some other bugs.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Awsom game! Very professional! No bugs encountered. I did, however, think that part of the first page in help was oddly worded. You said "as soon as you broke all bricks." I would change it to something like "once you have broken all bricks." I''ll let you know if I have any other suggestions.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"

Hi again! Also, on your website you say the following: "So we use OpenGL as a basement for..." Basement is not an appropriate word to use here. I suggest you chane that to "So we use OpenGL as a foundation for..."

I''ll let you know if I think of anything else.

Alex Broadwin
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."

Oh, and once again. In the same section as my above post was refering to ("About Us") you say the following: "Also we are going to make porting of our games to the other platforms like Mac and Linux." Once again, I suggest you change it slightly. I recommend saying "Also we are going to port out games to other platforms like Mac and Linux."

ADDITION: on the same page you say "Your opinion is very important for us." when it should read "Your opinion is very important to us." But that's kinda nit-picking I guess.

Alex Broadwin
-----
"Please help, I'm using Windows!"

[edited by - ATronic on August 16, 2002 11:23:09 PM]

On the brixout xp page you say: "Just download free demo version of the game!" I suggest you change that to "Just download the free demo version of the game!"

Alex Broadwin
-----

On level 5(I think it was level 5), I got the ball bouncing in such a way that it would hit a metal brick, hit the wall, bounce down and hit a wall right before the paddle, then hit the edge of the paddle and repeat this same pattern over and over. No matter where I moved the paddle, it would always hit the edge of it and repeat the path over and over, so I had to lose a life in order to continue. I have a screenshot of the ball at each end of the path if u want them, though I'm not sure how much they would help.

"The Requested Information Is Unknown Or Classified" -Anonymous

[edited by - Extrarius on August 16, 2002 11:50:24 PM]

Hi again. This time I have a suggestion about the game in general. If you are going to have as many levels as you say you will, I suggest you add a level password feature. This way, if someone beats 10+ levels and dies, they won''t go completely insane. Just give a password each time a person completes a level, and allow them to enter this password to return to that point in the game. Just a thought... It came to me when I died.

Alex Broadwin
-----

Here''s a bug I really can''t nail down for you It''s more of a physics problem than anything. Most of the time, regardless of where you hit the bricks, the ball comes back down. It doesn''t happen everytime, but the majority of the time it seems to. I''ve watched it hit the full side of the brick but still come back down at me.

Also, the perspective can make it hard to tell exactly where the ball is coming back down at. I can see why you chose it to allow you to see more of the board, but it can make it difficult to see the balls exact position.

All in all, great game. Strong DX-Ball feeling. And I like that

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, I''m outta here for the evening. Perhaps I''ll be back with more tomorrow.

Alex Broadwin
-----

1) Extrarius:
"I got the ball bouncing in such a way that it would hit a metal brick, hit the wall, bounce down and hit a wall right before the paddle, then hit the edge of the paddle and repeat this same pattern over and over..."

I noticed this problem as well. Will be fixed in the next version.

2) ATronic:
"This time I have a suggestion about the game in general. If you are going to have as many levels as you say you will, I suggest you add a level password feature..."

Yes, full version of the game already has 4 worlds and 80 levels (Every world includes 20 levels). So when you complete 1 world (20 levels) you will be teleported to the next world (e.g into Orbital Station world). Then you can even exit from game but the game remembers how much worlds did you open before. And next time when you start the game you will have 2 opened worlds (Dragon Fortress & Orbital Station) and so on. But I am going to tell you very big secret: game has cheat mode

BTW thanks for lot of grammar errors / misspellings.

3)Greven:
I do not understand exactly where the bug is? It sounds like common thing in Breakout / Arcanoid games. Am I wrong?

quote:
Original post by Sergei Eliseev
3)Greven:
I do not understand exactly where the bug is? It sounds like common thing in Breakout / Arcanoid games. Am I wrong?

I think you might be... In my experience if you hit a block on the corner and there is a block above where you hit, there shouldn't be an adjustment to the vertical movement. Here's a bad ascii drawing to complicate things:

+--+
|..|
|..|
+--+*
+--+
|..|
|..|
+--+

* = the ball

when it hits here, you make it go back down instead of continuing up. Just seems like corner collisions are doing both a horizontal and vertical collision. And sometimes that is not the case and shouldn't be done...

I think if you look at problem #1 from Extrarius it uses this problem I describe. There is only one bounce from a corner. This isn't the way things would bounce. Sure, it might be kind of a petty thing to complain about, it's just that I found the bounce effect I describe kind of irritating.

Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.

[edited by - Greven on August 17, 2002 2:56:06 AM]

Awesome fun game, i know I''ll play it for a long time.

A comment:
I''m running the game in an Intel Celleron 466, 256MB ram, NVidia TNT2(64MB) and it runs quite slow in 640x480x16, less than 20fps. I actually can run DeusEx/Unreal/Quake in 1024x768x32 with a very superior frame rate.
You say the commercial version has a different 3D engine. I think it could be better using this new 3D engine in your demo. Just an idea.

Excellent gameplay, excelent graphics, excelent music, I''ll probably buy it if I see it in a store.

Search and you''ll find, ask and you''ll receive.

xaxa:

"it runs quite slow in 640x480x16, less than 20fps..."

If you'd like to see fps counter in the games just open file config.cfg (it located in the game directory) and set variable:
setdebug fpsCounter 1

Next time when you start the game you'll see a fps counter.

BTW I can suggest to download latest drivers for video and sound card.

Full version of the game has the same engine as the demo, sorry.

[edited by - Sergei Eliseev on August 17, 2002 3:59:19 AM]

I do have the lastest Detonator drivers for the nvidia. I have sb16 with lastest drivers also.(I didnt know soundcard could slow down fps... any way this is not the case)

I activated the fps counter, and yes, it runs 18.75fps in 640x480x16.

I think this is important, many people under 500MHZ would not be able to play your game smoothly.

Cool game anyway

[edited by - xaxa on August 17, 2002 6:34:40 AM]

xaxa:
"I activated the fps counter, and yes, it runs 18.75fps in 640x480x16"

Hmm, the game works with 30-35 fps on Celeron 333, 256 RAM, Riva TNT, Monster Sound, Win Me (mode is 640*480*16). But detonator was 23.11

BTW What kind of the OS do you use?

I'm using WinMe 4.90.3000 (spanish), with the lastest pathches.
Detonators are 30.82, the very lastest ones.
Take in account that I can run many 3d games without problems.

[edited by - xaxa on August 17, 2002 7:26:07 AM]

Well, I too got stuck in level five on that blasted metal brick... on my last life... Gah! Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is a very well put togeather game, very fun, and the music is perfect! It blends in with the level, just perfect. Anyway, that''s all for now. Oh, and my machine/fps info:

900MHz AMD Athlon + nVidia geForce3ti500 + Win2k
60 fps (vsync on)

Alex Broadwin
-----

Just ran into an interesting bug. I believe it was the fourth level. I had just completed a level and was clicking to go to the next, I pressed the mouse button several times (no reason in particular, just pressing). Well when the next level was showing the intro screen (circling the level) the ball was launched like the game had started. I began taking away my lives because the ball would bounce back and I couldn''t move. I clicked the mouse again and it began playing while the ball was still in play. I couldn''t replicate the problem, but when it happened I did finish a level with the rocket launchers if that helps.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

I had the ball go right through my paddle.

As far as suggestions, it would be a much better game at a higher framerate. What I see is a beatiful product, and a slow game. Your selection screens look like they have a great framerate, but 20hz- is too slow for gameplay. You need 60Hz for a breakout game.

If you're running your collisions at the same frequency as the visual update rate, this could be a cause of the ball passing through the paddle. IE: lower framerate means less precise game state machine. You may need to do line-line collision using the line segment of the paddle against the line segment of the ball's previous and current position value. Graphics gems has this algorithm.

The sounds were great. And the select screens were great. I take it English isn't your first language .. but you already got those corrections .. that's great.

I would suggest that the next game, you focus on what you can do in 60Hz and/or use fewer polygons, or at the very least, run a separate thread for the game collisions to prevent degradation of temporal state information if you must continue the tradition of making 3d games that don't run at 60hz or better.

I apologize if my message is rude. It's a hard pill to swallow that the balance between high-polys and high-framerate is off... Hopefully the feedback is useful, though.

One other suggestion that might work is to use some technique to convert the static part of the screen to a texture, and "compile" part of the scene into a texture, redraw the static part using a quad, then draw the dynamic part using the normal draw routines. You might be able to do that on this particular game...

--
- Ahigh

[edited by - Ahigh on August 21, 2002 2:06:08 AM]