• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nes8bit

OpenGL unstable OpenGL

This topic is 6802 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if OpenGL crashes a lot. The reason I ask is because my Viper 770 crashes very frequently with OpenGL and almost never with D3D. I thought it was just a driver problem. Sometime later I was talking to my friend about his Voodoo 2 card and he told me that OpenGL crashes more than D3D does. And Please no OpenGL vs. DX wars.

Advertisement
It could be my drivers. When I switch from Diamond''s to nVidia''s drivers, OpenGL is more stable, but the rest of my computer crashes a lot. The only reason I brought up this question is because my friend with the Voodoo 2 had OpenGL problems also.

No API is inherently stable or unstable (though many would disagree with me about the Win32 API =). It''s a matter of the implementation. So it''s up to hardware vendors to provide quality drivers. And only recently have they begun to do just that--get serious about OpenGL support. 3dfx, though, has always provided half-a**ed OpenGL drivers, so saying that someone gets crashes on a Voodoo 2 is no surprise. =)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Many video cards dont have full OpenGL support, and many dont have it at all! Go to the manufactor''s web site (i cant remember who made the Viper 770!), and check to see if OpenGL is fully supported. DirectX usually is, but that''s because Microsoft is so big and they pressure companies to support it, but I wont get into that now.

MENTAL

You could try glsetup. It provides full openGL driver support for most chipsets. If you have a copy of quake3, you already have glsetup. Otherwise, try

http://www.glsetup.com

I believe Mr. nes8bit's experience is special and limited.

According to my experience, Direct3D is much more unstable than OpenGL.

SlaveZero Demo stopped working on Direct7 and Geforce.
Many Direct3D games freeze with 3dfx boards.

The last problem has been known to some group of programmers. Genesis3D team pointed out the last problem, too.

Kate

Edited by - kate on 4/1/00 9:05:16 AM

Anonymous Poster: Diamond made the Viper 770 and it runs the off of the TNT2 chipset
benjamin bunny: I have tried GLSetup and their drivers crash Explorer.
Kate: Experience? comon, I''m 15.

I thought it could be a driver problem in the start. When I heard of the Voodoo 2 crashing a lot more with OpenGL then I thought it could be an API problem. After reading about what merlin9x9 had to say, I now think that OpenGL is just neglected.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I''m a developer and have used opengl and DirectX both. The problem is that the makers of 3D graphic card have just started to support OpenGL. The problem is with the driver of course. About opengl you should know that it is the best 3D API ever made. OpenGL is much mature API then DirectX.

I have a v770 myself, and I''ve never had any OpenGL program crash, with any version of the drivers. My guess would be that the card is conflicting with some other device on your computer. Check IRQs first, that''s a good guess. By the way, in my experience GLSetup has terrible drivers for some cards, especially those based on the TNT2 chipset. The latest drivers from Diamond''s website are very good; they let you customize how OpenGL programs will run (previously only available with DirectX programs). Hope all this helps.

Wraith
BasketQase Software
Current Project: Hollow Point

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!