nearly finished my first book now where?

Started by
2 comments, last by kupiXed 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have been reading my book "Beginnning C++ The Complete Language" by Ivor Horton. This book has helped me learn alot about the c++ language, i really didnt have any programming experiance beforce hand. I am now woundering what book i should get next. I want to maybe create a couple of ASCII games or maybe even go into DirectX or OpenGL creating a rpg maybe, or just learning the basics. I need some advise and maybe some links to decent books that could help me on Amazon. Thankyou in advance, Matthew Scott. [edited by - kupiXed on August 14, 2002 5:01:21 PM]
Advertisement
Hello,

If you plan on doing some OOP (object-oriented programming) I really must suggest you buy or download Bruce Eckel''s Thinking in C++. It does an excellent job of explaining OOP methodology and teaching C++ at the same time. I realize that you have already read a C++ book, but Eckel explains it all and teaches how to heighten your understanding of C++, OOP, and programming in general. You can get this book for free at www.bruceeckel.com. If you decide you like it (I loved it) please support Eckel and buy the book. Mine arrived yesterday

Jim
Hi,
If your ok with the C++ language I suggest purchasing Tricks of the Windows programming gurus by Andre LaMothe. This will introduce you to direct x programming and will further enhance you programming skills. You can read a review of it by clicking on ''Books & Software'' on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Darren
I agree with both of them...Eckel and LaMothe are very good authors (so is Ivor Horton for that matter).

If you are interested in doing windows programming with the windows api I have an ebook I can email to you. It is by Charles Petzold, and it is called Programming Windows. It is about 4MB in size. If you want to get into OpenGL game programming, I suggest you buy Opengl Game Programming by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761533303/qid=1029428005/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-1843838-4673558?s=books&n=507846

I hope I helped.
Peace
Shad

What do you mean ''''Someday become a programmer?'''' I''''m a programmer right now!
What do you mean ''Someday become a programmer?'' I'm a programmer right now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement