Is this ridiculous or what?

Started by
15 comments, last by Ivyn 21 years, 8 months ago
Well I''m working on a game creation IDE, it has a Map Editor, Image Editor, Code Editor and other tools. To compile the games, I plan for the program to convert the code (which is my own syntax) to Pascal and it will then be compiled. So do you think this idea will work, and do you know of any information I can get about converting one language to another? Just for the record, I''m using Delphi, but it doesn''t matter. -- Ivyn --
-- Ivyn --
Advertisement
Why not just make your own scripting lanuage.. since taht would be better than creating a pascal interepter.
It is better to keep you projects simple.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

Why not just make your own scripting lanuage.. since taht would be better than creating a pascal interepter.
It is better to keep you projects simple.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

You could be right. I was thinking of using a scripting system at first but the two main reasons I decided against it were...

1. I read that scripts run about 15 times slower than executed code. I will be using this myself and I need as much speed as I can pull.

2. Scripting systems (or at least the ones I've seen) all use a pre-compiled exe. This isn't good for allowing the changing of icons...etc.

Writing the pascal converter is alot of work, but would scripting be that much easier?
Anyway, I was just wondering if my idea had ever been atempted before and if there is a chance it will work exceptionally.

-- Ivyn --

[edited by - Ivyn on August 14, 2002 12:24:51 AM]
-- Ivyn --
It''s a good idea. I had one similar to that a while ago but it was going to convert to C++. It just got too hard to design so it never got started. Anyway, the only tip I have it that the user doesn''t have to run the pascal compiler and your program will call the compiler itself.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
How about using precompiled scripts? Set up your own scripting language and everything but make an external compiler that compiles the scripts you make to intermediary code. This intermediary code can then be run through the virtual machine in your game without needing to parse anything. And thus, the performance hit is minimized.

Your method, though effective, just seems weird to me but to each his own I guess...

-Auron

[edited by - Auron on August 14, 2002 12:52:44 AM]
Auron, what you've suggested sounds interesting however I don't really understand. What is intermediary code and how would I compile to that? And what do you mean by the virtual machine in the game?

And to RapidStunna: It's good to see someone else thought about it. And yes, I was planning for the user to never even know anything about the whole conversion to pascal thing. All they know is that their game is being compiled to an exe.

-- Ivyn --

[edited by - Ivyn on August 15, 2002 1:10:20 AM]
-- Ivyn --
Hey, have you seen Game Maker? I believe that is exactly what you might be making. I believe the author even used Delphi to make it. You should take a look at it to see how he did it. Here''s the webpage if your are so curious. http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html

Happy Coding!
-Escaflowne75
Yeah, I already have Game Maker. I looked at it often when designing my interface to make sure I picked up on all it's misses as well as provided more and better features. I also studied RPG Maker 2000 which I believe was also programmed in Delphi.

P.S. Still waiting for someone to explain about intermediary code and all the stuff Auron said.

-- Ivyn --

[edited by - Ivyn on August 15, 2002 1:01:26 PM]
-- Ivyn --
Intermediary code is like virtual assembly.

You basically write custom instructions that resemble machine code. You then write the engine that reads and executes those instructions. It''s also sometimes called "byte-code" because the compiled script files are usually binary and not human-readable.

Java uses a system similar to this.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement