Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bouncing balls don't look right

This topic is 5600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this is perhaps a "game design" question in disguise, but: I am writing a pong-type game where the paddles are circular and can move in their half of the pitch. The ball is circular too. I am calculating the angle the ball bounces from a paddle with "angle of incidence = angle of reflection", taking into account the relative velocities of ball and paddle and the surface normal at the point of impact. Sometimes I get reflections that look really wrong. However, when I play back in my head what just happened, I realise that physically it makes sense after all, and the problem was me striking a glancing blow. Does anyone know any more "forgiving" ways of doing this? Or should I stick with a system I believe to be accurate, despite its unforgiving nature? all comments gratefully appreciated…

how philosophically unsettling...

do you modify the code to make it more believable or stick to your guns and keep the more accurate picture...?

then again, it''s just a game, I''d say if you like it the way it is, keep it, if you don''t like it, change it. I know I''m not much help but I think you''re probably the best judge of whether or not it should be changed, and when you come to a decision, if you need to change it, I''m sure someone would be more than happy to assist you.