Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rausse

errors comping simple program

I''m attempting to get OpenGL running on an OpenBSD system, and I''m running into a problem. I''m just trying to compile a very simple example program from NeHe, and I''m getting lots of errors like this: /tmp/ccc25811.o: Undefined symbol `_glutInit'' referenced from text segment glutInit is a function call that is defined in glut.h, and I would assume is implemented in the shared library libglut.so.3.7, which I have. I''m using the following compile command: gcc -Wall -o try try.c -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/local/include/ -L/usr/local/lib/libglut.so.3.7 -L/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 -L/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLw.a Help?

It may help to toss your compile statement into a Makefile. This is an example makefile I used for a project last year in Unix/Linux. I don''t know how much you know about makefiles, but this worked for me. It should work, provided your link and include directories are correct. Let me know if it works, I usually develop using MSV C++ but want to start writing demos in linux again. Its just the best way to go...

CFLAGS= -I/eng/home/easgst25/include
LIBFLAGS = -L/eng/home/easgst25/lib
simple: simple.o
g++ ${CCFLAGS} ${LIBFLAGS} -o simple simple.o \
-lglut -lGLU -lGL -lm -lX11 -lXmu -lpthread

simple.o: simple.c
g++ ${CCFLAGS} -c simple.c

Thanks! It did work. The problem was that I was trying to specifty the entire library with the -L flag. I needed instead to specify the library path with -L and the actual library with -l. I''m not really a C programmer, so I''m unfamiliar with these compiler flags. In the end, if you use a compile command like:

gcc -Wall -o try try.c -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/local/include/ -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lglut -lGLU -lGL

everything works out wonderfully. I agree that make''s definitely the way to go. Incase anyone''s interested, here''s my makefile.

COMP=gcc
FLAGS=-Wall
INC=-I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/local/include/
LIBPATH=-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
LIBS=-lglut -lGLU -lGL

try: try.c
${COMP} ${FLAGS} -o try try.c ${INC} ${LIBPATH} ${LIBS}

clean:
rm -f try *~

Now on to the fun stuff....