Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions + problem using TCP

This topic is 5599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got several questions on TCP: 1) does using select() automatically mean that you''re using non-blocking sockets? 2) If it does mean that only because the recv()s will always have data on them, therefore you don''t have to wait till they do, what makes a recv() call stall? 3) Can sending a header with a packet size information that is incorrect can make recv() stall? 4) Assuming that is not the problem, what else would make recv stall? 5) Should I use the select() method to check for incoming data? Or can I put the recvs and sends on a different thread and write and read to and from a queue that the main thread uses from? The actual problem: I am using TCP to prototype my game''s multiplayer aspect. I compile both server and client code and run them on a single computer. It lags. So I start timing function calls to find a botteneck. The bottleneck is a recv function. Every 3-4 packet recieves, the function stalls for approx 150ms, making the game extremely jerky. I am only recieving an average of 14 bytes per recv() call. The odd thing is that the server doesn''t lag on any of its recieves. Only the client does. I am using the same code to recv() packets for both programs. Anyone have an theory explaining why this might be happening? -=~''''^''''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''''^''''~=-

Guest Anonymous Poster
select() doesn''t automatically make sockets non blocking, you have to use your local ioctl() type function to set it to non-blocking, then when you recv() test for a EWOULDBLOCK (or WSAEWOULDBLOCK) error which means there is no data waiting. select() just tests to see if their is data waiting (recv()) or if a socket has free buffer space for sending (send()). I personally use both methods, select() and then check EWOULDBLOCK on non-blocking sockets as a fail-safe in case select() gives me dodgy data
As for your actual problem, it''s probably a little difficult to diagnose without seeing code or knowing better what you;re doing. Only thing i can think of, is if you are making multiple calls to recv() after a single select(). Like if you were looping on recv() until you received a full message etc.