swanky dx8/9 features in gl?

Started by
2 comments, last by necromancer_df 21 years, 8 months ago
so is it possible to implement all the cool features from dx8 and like such as programming pixel shaders and stuff. i haven;t been able to find any tutorials on and wondered whether or not it was possible in current versions of opengl?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by necromancer_df
so is it possible to implement all the cool features from dx8 and like such as programming pixel shaders and stuff. i haven;t been able to find any tutorials on and wondered whether or not it was possible in current versions of opengl?

Yes it is possible, try developer.nvidia.com i think. They have an SDK for pixel shaders. I think ATI do too.
yeah, except in gl you have to deal with extensions and two implementations (ie shader languages). one for nvidia cards (geforce) and one for ati cards (radeons).
Take a look at Cg. It''s nvidia''s high level shading language and can be used with DirectX or OpenGL. It (apparently) works on nVidia cards, but AFAIK there isn''t an ATi implementation yet. There''s some debate as to whether that, or the proposed OpenGL2.0 HLSL should be adopted into OpenGL2.0, but either way, it looks like we''re going to have a high level, hardware independant way of accessing pixel and vertex shaders pretty soon.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement