Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ender81X

Virtual Network Game Idea

well, i''ve tried in the past to make 2d or 3d games of different genres, but i always get hung up somewhere in the graphics programming, or collision detection, or whatever else happens to snag me. so to actually finish a project, i''ve reverted to a game that can be initially written as a text-based console game, but could later be retro-fitted with a graphical front-end. i''m mostly doing it to just learn more about moduler coding and such, but i figured i would see what others thought about the basis for the game itself...so here goes. the game is sort of a MMO (massive multiplayer online) game. each player is represented by an entity that exists in a virtual network of all the other entities in the game. the player writes a script in a limited scripting language that i am designing, and then uploads that script to their entity in the game. the entity runs that script, and does things based on it. such as connecting to other entities, sending information, downloading information...things like that. each entity has some finite amount of resources. like 1MB of disk space, 10 ports for communication, maybe it can only process 100 instructions per second...the scripting language will be robust enough that useful applications can actually be written (such as a file server). when the player is logged into their entity, they will have an interface like a unix terminal. basically, the point of this "game" is that hopefully people smarter than me will be able to figure out ways to use the scripting language to write all sorts of applications, and the virtual network will evolve into a whole working network. and you can eventually own more than one "entity", and points are based on the amount of data going through your entity. so operating key gateways in the network could be important, and maybe people would "hack" into other entities to take them over. the idea may not be that sound, and i am probably not putting it together very well in this post, but i am writing it using a lot of programming techniques that i didn''t know before, so it''s at least helping me. i just figured i would throw it out there and see what others thought.

your system sounds very much like the ''internet''. expendable system where tools are provided, applications are made, communication takes place and traffic is generated.. a world that grows constantly.

quote:
Original post by Ender81X
well, i''ve tried in the past to make 2d or 3d games of different genres, but i always get hung up somewhere in the graphics programming, or collision detection, or whatever else happens to snag me. so to actually finish a project, i''ve reverted to a game that can be initially written as a text-based console game, but could later be retro-fitted with a graphical front-end. i''m mostly doing it to just learn more about moduler coding and such, but i figured i would see what others thought about the basis for the game itself...so here goes.

the game is sort of a MMO (massive multiplayer online) game. each player is represented by an entity that exists in a virtual network of all the other entities in the game. the player writes a script in a limited scripting language that i am designing, and then uploads that script to their entity in the game. the entity runs that script, and does things based on it. such as connecting to other entities, sending information, downloading information...things like that.

each entity has some finite amount of resources. like 1MB of disk space, 10 ports for communication, maybe it can only process 100 instructions per second...the scripting language will be robust enough that useful applications can actually be written (such as a file server). when the player is logged into their entity, they will have an interface like a unix terminal.

basically, the point of this "game" is that hopefully people smarter than me will be able to figure out ways to use the scripting language to write all sorts of applications, and the virtual network will evolve into a whole working network. and you can eventually own more than one "entity", and points are based on the amount of data going through your entity. so operating key gateways in the network could be important, and maybe people would "hack" into other entities to take them over.

the idea may not be that sound, and i am probably not putting it together very well in this post, but i am writing it using a lot of programming techniques that i didn''t know before, so it''s at least helping me. i just figured i would throw it out there and see what others thought.

i would find it fun, but then im a programmer

coolness.