DirectX 8.1 SDK D3D example problems

Started by
2 comments, last by Sir_Spritely 21 years, 8 months ago
I had DX8.1 which I downloaded and followed the install procedure setup on another machine. I have since made a copy of the folder and put it on a new machine. Most of things I have tried doing in DX8.1 have worked fine. However I am having a problem with the programs in the Samples/Multimedia/Direct3D/ directory. A few work such as the Text3D example, however on pretty much the rest of the demos I get the following error from a window popup. PopUp1 Could not load the required media, Switching to the reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly. Once I click Okay on this I get another error, PopUp2 Warning, nothing will be rendered. The reference rendering device was selected but your computer only has a reduced functionality device installed. Install the DirectX SDK to get the full reference device. Now I''m presuming that I should install it on the new machine by running the SDKDev/debug/dxdevrtm program. I am guessing this will sort out the second error but what about the first error? I am using WIN XP on a AMD2200 with a NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4400 card. The system is all very new and should unless I don''t have the card, or DX setup properly run these examples. Anyone any ideas here? Thanks, Paul.
Advertisement
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS run the install program. You will always have weird errors if you simply copy over the directories. I would go back and completely delete the folder you copied over, and just copy the SDK install program over (the one you downloaded, or the one off the CD you have) and run it.

Ryan Buhr
Reactor Interactive, LLC.

Ryan Buhr

Technical Lead | Sector 13

Reactor Interactive, LLC

Facebook | Twitter

A lot of the examples check the SDK install path from the registry (which hasnt had the info filled in by the installer)

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
You MUST have the regkey set for the samples to find the files, or you need to copy the files they need into the .exe''s directory - (good luck finding out which ones go to which exe).

The installer does this automatically.
EvilDecl81

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement