Win32 Version Control Tools

Started by
11 comments, last by LessBread 21 years, 8 months ago
I''m looking into CVS tools at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to make. I''m interested in Windows based software, but not Microsoft (ie not Visual Source Safe). I have a few other requirements in mind, but rather than prejudice any responses I would rather just ask the question and go from there. Thanks! -Mike
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
Well, to ask for someone else''s opinion about a program is to invite prejudices into the conversation.

However, I''ve used CVS in the past and it''s pretty damn good. You can back track to all the changes that were made to the sourcecode, who made them, deny/allow changes to be made based upon user name and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Plus, it''s FREE!

cvsgui project

or

WinCVS
- Advice, eh? Well, besides working on your swing...you know, besides that...I'd have to think.
Like2Byte just posted two links for a GUI for CVS.... this doesn''t help you much.

I would recommend using CVS. I run CVSNT on my Windows2000 server, and you can get that at http://www.cvsnt.org/ Once that is set up, then you would use the GUI Like2Byte posted to use CVS.

I''m not sure if CVSNT will run on other versions of windows, but if it doesn''t, I''m sure there is something similar that does.
For day to day CVS use, nothing really beats TortoiseCVS[1]. It''s a shell extension that plugs into Windows Explorer and adds some entries to the right-click menu of versioned files and directories. It also uses icon overlays to show the status of the files(conflicted, changed, in cvs or not in cvs).
You might also want to look into Subversion[2]. It is designed to be a CVS replacement, and as such fixes some of CVS'' most glaring deficiencies. It is currently in alpha, but 1.0 is expected sometime during this fall. In its present state, it is definitely usable(at least if you use a local repository - the Win32 Apache + mod_dav_svn solution isn''t quite there yet).

[1]http://www.tortoisecvs.org
[2]subversion.tigris.org

"It is precisely because it is fashionable for Americans to know no science, even though they may be well educated otherwise, that they so easily fall prey to nonsense. They thus become part of the armies of the night, the purveyors of nitwittery, the retailers of intellectual junk food, the feeders on mental cardboard, for their ignorance keeps them from distinguishing nectar from sewage."
Isaac Asimov
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
No, CVSNT won''t run on 9x, and I dont think there is a CVS server that will.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Like2Byte - your judgements were what I sought, not my pre-judgements or frame of perspective - although I should have made explicit that W2K was preferred. (In my mind I guess I''ve moved 9x into the W3 category... any way).

Finding good software takes more than a google search, imo it''s a good question to ask other coders and so I thank everyone for their responses so far. These packages all look great I''ll check each of them out.

By the way, the page is blank at wincvs.org - I wonder why? (the sourceforge page works fine though).

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I believe the official page for WinCVS is www.cvsgui.org
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
"It is precisely because it is fashionable for Americans to know no science, even though they may be well educated otherwise, that they so easily fall prey to nonsense. They thus become part of the armies of the night, the purveyors of nitwittery, the retailers of intellectual junk food, the feeders on mental cardboard, for their ignorance keeps them from distinguishing nectar from sewage."
Isaac Asimov

Classic!

The converse of this however, is just as bad imo - scientists without a sense of history or culture. Either way, I see this a consequence of the division of labor. I don''t intend to argue this point here -*** this discussion really belongs in the lounge ***- but here is where I first saw Arild''s new sig.
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
I believe the official page for WinCVS is www.cvsgui.org

That one''s blank too. ???
Shows for me - in both Opera and IE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement