3D Textures

Started by
14 comments, last by robirt 21 years, 8 months ago
Where can I get information about these? Like the ones used in Doom3. Google didnt give me any useful results.
Rodger
Advertisement
Probably because ''3d textures'' doesn''t mean that you think it does. Try googling on ''bumpmap''
I want to know about the 3d textures that opengl can load. ''GL_TEXTURE_3D''
Isnt that what doom3 uses? Even if it isnt I would like to know where i can find out about them. I already know about bumpmaps.
Rodger
Doom 3 does not use 3D textures. It uses bump maps. Both of which are above your level now, so start with something more simple.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Try the OpenGL extension registry (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry)
entry for GL_EXT_texture3D
siaspete, why would you assume that they are above my level? When have you seen anything I''ve ever done to know what my ''level'' is? I know what bump maps are and how to use them. I was told that Doom3 used 3d textures(i guess that was a bad source), so I wanted to support them in my engine but I couldnt find any information about them. If no one uses them in games right now, I dont really need to know about them, I just thought they might become a standard soon if doom3 had them and i didnt want to be behind. thanks
Rodger
quote:Original post by robirt
siaspete, why would you assume that they are above my level? When have you seen anything I''ve ever done to know what my ''level'' is? I know what bump maps are and how to use them. I was told that Doom3 used 3d textures(i guess that was a bad source), so I wanted to support them in my engine but I couldnt find any information about them. If no one uses them in games right now, I dont really need to know about them, I just thought they might become a standard soon if doom3 had them and i didnt want to be behind. thanks

Dude you were right it does use 3d textures, and its a way of achieving some nice ass lighting, there are a few discussions about it on these forums, so you could try checkin the search button out.

siaspete, shut the hell up man before you hurt yourself.
Would you have said that if you had registered here? Even if you disagree with someone you shouldn''t resort to that kind of thing.

Anyway, if someone can''t find information on their own about 3D textures then I think it''s a fair assumption that they''re not at the level of using them yet, and If you can find info on bumpmapping you can find info on 3D textures.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
quote:Original post by siaspete
Would you have said that if you had registered here? Even if you disagree with someone you shouldn''t resort to that kind of thing.

Anyway, if someone can''t find information on their own about 3D textures then I think it''s a fair assumption that they''re not at the level of using them yet, and If you can find info on bumpmapping you can find info on 3D textures.

Helpful links:

You''re still to offensive

I like pizza

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement