Alternative monster

Started by
10 comments, last by Grimjack 21 years, 8 months ago
I am currently starting to sketch out a game design for a squad based tactical game where the player will control 1-2 squads of mercenaries going into futuristic sci-fi complexes to carry out a number of different missions. The setting would vary between abandoned catacombs, old space stations, industrial complexes etc. A lot of cramped areas. Now I am stuck looking for an interesting creature/monster that operates on a ''smart'' animal intelligence. I am looking for something similar to the ALIEN creature but want something new... The creature would be a deadly melee fighter and rely on speed and stealth to finish off the high-tech mercenaries. The creature should also be really scary... Any ideas?? ::aggression is the result of fear::
::aggression is the result of fear::
Advertisement
Well, doppelgangers are the old standby. Eek! it looks like me!

What about monsters based on real-life animals? Does anyone remember the pelican from the movie adaptation of Jumanji ? In the right lighting, that thing would've been DAMN scary.

The thing behind both of these is that, IMHO, you can make a monster both unique and terrifying by maligning reality. Something people are used to, twisted into evil, is much more frightening than a funky-looking green dude from Mars, no matter how many teeth he has.

For cramped areas.... what about a blind, somewhat shaggy albino ape with milky reflective eyes and long, emaciated limbs? And it should hiss. :-D

Don't listen to me. I've had too much coffee.

[edited by - sneftel on August 15, 2002 12:17:13 PM]
My only suggestion is to pick an animal in real life that you''d want to model your creatures from, then consider: thick hide or slimy skin? Scales, fur or feathers? Fatter or skinnier? Extra limbs? Coloring? Slithering, crawling, flying or upright?

It isn''t as easy as "make me a creature" - decide what kind of creature would be best suited for the environment you create. Think functionality, and a rationale for the creature to be there. Is it a sentient race? Are they parasites? Do they feed off the hull, or the humanoids? Why would they attack? What are they using the environment for? Does the player do something that causes them to defend themselves, or are they hunters?

Figure out the answer to some of these questions, and you''ll be closer to designing your creature. Others may have more to add.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Hey... That "albino chimp" you described sounds a lot like the Morlocks in the Time Machine... Good suggestion, though. God knows they scared me enough the first time I read it (Hey, I was little, OK?!). But anyway... Just an idea... But wouldn''t packs of them be more scary? For instance, one of the guys, let''s name him "Billy" , is walking down a hall. The light on his gun goes out, but before it does, it begins flickering. Whilst it flickers, Billy sees a half-dozen Morlocks (I''m just calling them that for simplicity''s sake) scamper into place. Billy hits the end of the light, hoping for it to turn on... And it does, revealing the half-dozen Morlocks jumping straight into him. Nifty.
anyone see signs lately?

the creatures are scary as HELL, at least until the end when you get a good look... but theyre just adaptations on the human frame - always something to consider.

at lot of it depends on how you show and present it; ie, cutscenes (the zerglings in the starcraft cutscenes are frickin scary! - but not so much in the game itself)
so consider cool, scary effects for the creature.

anyways, i found one - the ''ripper'' at polycount.com and edited it some - you can download the game... ''Elementum'' under the 4 elements 3 contest on this site: its much like a rat/zergling but a lot cooler looking. it just looks like something you would not want to mess with.

anyways, good luck!
-geo
quote:Original post by EricTrickster
It isn''t as easy as "make me a creature" - decide what kind of creature would be best suited for the environment you create. Think functionality, and a rationale for the creature to be there. Is it a sentient race? Are they parasites? Do they feed off the hull, or the humanoids? Why would they attack? What are they using the environment for? Does the player do something that causes them to defend themselves, or are they hunters?

Figure out the answer to some of these questions, and you''ll be closer to designing your creature. Others may have more to add.

I totally agree... I just wanted something quickly to put into the gameplay prototype. It is back to the drawing board fleshing out the poor bastards. =)

GEO
Unfortunately this monster will not be displayed in FPS view... or cutscenes only. They will be visible from a isometric view and will be visible alot. Darkness and flickering lights will of course hide the creature somewhat...

But not showing a scary creature to the viewer is the best way to make a truly scary monster, leaving the players imagination to fill out the details...

picture: http://www.geocities.com/marvg007/misc/creature.jpg

I''m trying to go for a dark style here. I wish I had more time, but its so late. Some parts of it seem unclear because it is so dark, but they''re there. Imagine looking at this through bloodshot eyes, that''s basically how I set up the picture. Saliva glows in ultraviolet light(our saliva would glow too actually!), and parts of its skin also glows. The nose is actually his mouth hole. The lower Jaw is just there for clamping on to things. He chews through a bug-like quad pincer mouth. Yea, sounds predator-ish, but I wasn''t actually thinking of predator when I did it. Originally..the mouth hole was just a hole with hair around it..I didn''f feel comfortable with that. Just a sketch, you can use it if you like it.

-=~''''^''''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''''^''''~=-
-=~''^''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''^''~=-
you should check out the old game "space hulk" they have genestealers, from the Warhammer (tabletop game) universe. it is basicly what ur talking about, you control a group of space marines (flamers, assult guns all that) and the genestealsers are 2 legged 4 armed (2 hand like with claws and the other 2 big blades) and basicly if they get the marines in to hand to hand they are in for tough fight, basicly you need to keep them at a distance.

anyway check it out if you can
the game is old and you might be able to find it on some abandomware sites
The monster looks really cool, it was something like that I had in mind. I would like to see more bone colored carpage and bone and with some more muscular legs and even bigger claws on the frontlegs... =)

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
you should check out the old game "space hulk" they have genestealers, from the Warhammer (tabletop game) universe. it is basicly what ur talking about, you control a group of space marines (flamers, assult guns all that) and the genestealsers are 2 legged 4 armed (2 hand like with claws and the other 2 big blades) and basicly if they get the marines in to hand to hand they are in for tough fight, basicly you need to keep them at a distance.

anyway check it out if you can
the game is old and you might be able to find it on some abandomware sites

OH MY GOD!!! I forgot all about that game! A friend of mine had it and we used to play it all the time. Sorry, just a wave of nostalgia hit me =)

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement