Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frenchfry164

Allegro users

I used Allegro when I first started out, 4 or 5 years ago? Those were the days let me tell you, didn''t have to think about classes this or software engineering that, just clear->blit->repeat.

I''ve been using allegro for about a month and I frequent the forums at allegro.cc. As soon as I finish my current project I''m dropping Allegro and moving on to windows and opengl. (Got to keep learning new stuff.) I like allegro, its surprisingly stable and really easy to do oop designs with.

I also used Allegro when I started out. When you have little experience, it''s sweet to see instant results with so little effort. I would be years behind if it weren''t for that.

Despite being rather comfortable with many of the DirectX APIs (namely, DDraw, DInput, DSound/Music) I''m a huge Allegro fan. It''s a good, stable and easy to use library that covers almost everything quite well.

My only beef ever with it is its absolutely wretched GUI sub-system. It''s hard to tell whether the code necessary to run an Allegro GUI is uglier the supplied GUI widgets themselves ;P

-Auron