Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

virus3355

Whats next?

I will soon be finishing up ''SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days'', then I will go back and re-read what I do not fully understand. After that, what book shall I get next? Thank You for your input.

OK, if you wanna learn Windows stuff, I recommend "Programming Windows", by Charles Petzold. Great book, and I found a free copy in Windows Help format on the web somewhere. Hopefully that was legal.

EDIT: Looks like it probably wasn't legal after all, since I can't seem to find it anywhere. In any case, I don't have it anymore since it got wiped out during my latest hard drive fiasco (I have these fairly regularly ). Looks like you'll have to buy it if you want it.

[edited by - micepick on August 15, 2002 8:30:03 PM]

virus3355:

You''ll probably also want to pick up Herb Schildt''s C++: The Complete Reference, published by Osbourne (not Ozzy ). For general C++ questions, it''s a good one. I would also second micepick''s recommendation as well. I''m going to pick up a copy myself this weekend.

John.

Although I agree everyone should own a copy of Petzold''s book, it might not be good right after beginning learning c++. You might want to check into a book called something like "Windows Programming for Dummies." I''m not trying to insult anyone by suggesting a Dummies book, I started with it back in the day and it helped a lot. I now own the Petzold book and keep it handy at all times. But I''m not sure it''s a good book to just jump into. But I could be wrong. I know with my learning style I would have just shut the book pretty fast back then Check them out at your local book store before buying. Petzold is about $42 at amazon right now and "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" is about $20. So check them out before making the purchase.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.