Is this guy way off base?

Started by
14 comments, last by Jaiph 21 years, 8 months ago
Ah ok thanks for all the info folks. People tried to talk some sense into this guy, but he seems to be stubbornly sticking to his ideas in a new thread here. I just don''t understand why people can''t admit when they are wrong....I do it all the time!
Advertisement
quote:
So, then, when you enter JO, say you decide to Load a random level. This is where the Game engine actually takes over. The Engine sends a screenshot to your GPU to be processed and sent to your monitor along with the loading image, which is updated on progress. The Engine then begins to load everything within the FOV of you player, based on the entry point of the level, and begins loading everything from textures, entities, sounds, or whatever else your Video card will need to process in the first few seconds upon entering the level. (And textures, sounds, entities, ect. not in your FOV is later loaded to your memory shortly before it is to be displayed on your monitor). As previously loaded material in your memory is no longer needed, it is cleaned out to allow space for the new information. This process is what dramtically increases performance.

Ever notice how most of the JO levels start you in a confined area, or open area that has a sharp bend left or right in the path not far from where you start? This is a trick they use to help increase load time. The less information displayed in-view upon entering the level, the less information that needs to be pre-loaded into the video cards memory.

OMG! is this Friend14 guy a loser!! All of it, complete rubbish!

CEO Platoon Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
From the 2nd thread its sounds like he is getting his information from that horrid GameSpy "How stuph werks" series. Anyone care to dig up the thread we had about all the technical inaccuracies, bad generalizations and downright incorrect information was in that piece of crap?
quote:
OMG! is this Friend14 guy a loser!! All of it, complete rubbish!

Why ? I haven't read the thread, but the part you quoted is more or less correct for engines using progressive loading systems. Most engines do not progressively swap in geometry (although it is definitely possible), but a lot do that with textures, sfx and objects.

He is a bit confused about some details (the engine won't load what is exactly in your FOV, but will load what is in the nearby BSP/Octtree cells intersected by your FOV). But on the other hand, I think he never implemented an engine himself either, so such details are excuseable.

[Michalson: you mean this one ?]

/ Yann

[edited by - Yann L on August 16, 2002 9:14:22 AM]
Someone should point Friend14 to this forum, and watch his ego deflate to flaccidity...

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

quote:Original post by MatrixCubed
Someone should point Friend14 to this forum, and watch his ego deflate to flaccidity...

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

You can say that again. He is basing all of his information on what he perceives using a stop watch and playing the game. He doesn''t even program. He just creates levels for Jedi Knight: Outcast.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement