Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Translation Controller

This topic is 5602 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I''m working on an SGI Oynx3200, writing a serious visualization application, available on sourceforge (http://mvs.sourceforge.net), and I was looking for some input. I need to figure out an translation controller that can be used with a regular mouse. The controller must be able to manipulate each translation co-ordinate seperately. I''m using the SGI Performer graphics library, which really rocks for doing the mathematics so far. The function will have inputs of delta mouse movement (dX/dY), and produces dX/dY/dZ coordinates from this. I''m using Ken Shoemakes Arcball Quaternion controller for my rotation system, so if anybody can point me to similar ideas for a translation controller, I''d be most grateful. Thanks all.

Hmm... have you ever played homeworld? I kinda like their translation interface. X and Y movements happen when the user is holding down one button and dragging. If both right and left buttons are held while being dragged, then movement in the Z direction occurs.

If I were the user of your programm I'd love to have the following options:
Movement along each 1 axis. X,Y,Z by dragging a visualization of the base vector
Movement along in a plane. XY, XZ, YZ dragging a visualization of the two base vectors

Each of these movement methods should be applicable on various coordinate systems. Selctable by right-click-context and keyboard

World coordinate system
Object coordinate system
Optionally the objects parent coordinate system, for hierarchical objects
Camera/Viewer coordinate system

How you store the results is another problem

---------------------------
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up

[edited by - Dreamforger on August 16, 2002 8:28:13 AM]