Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scrolling my map editor window

This topic is 5594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my map editor, the screen scrolls aver the ground when the mouse is near the edges of the window. However, this occurs even if the mouse is over this region while in the menu or over another window while my window has the focus. I can't just use mouse mesages as they are not sent if you leave the mouse stationary, however the map should still scroll. How can I do this kind of thing?
Read about my game, project #1 NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3
John 3:16
[edited by - d000hg on August 16, 2002 8:26:30 PM]

are you handling WM_MOUSEMOVE messages or getting the mouse position asyncronusly? Modify the message handler for your menus and dialogs so that they trap the WM_MOUSEMOVE message and return 0. What appears to be happening is that the message is getting passed up the chain to the parent window.

If your getting the mouse coords asyncronusly then you need to do some other type of checking to make sure the main window "hasfocus"

Get the mouse asynchronously (using a timer), because I need to respond to it''s position even when it stops moving. Just looked and found the GetFocus() & GetForegroundWindow() API calls which would sem to be the answer. I was sure there was something but I never know where to start looking!

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3

John 3:16