• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Muzzafarath

Palette reading function

This topic is 6629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been trying to write a function that'll read the palette data from a 256 color bmp and store it in a PALETTE structure but it just doesn't work I've read that the palette is stored at offset 0x0036 and that it comes in packs of 4 bytes (1 byte for the blue component, 1 byte for the green, 1 byte for the red and 1 filler byte). Here's the function that I've written (I had to change some code so that the forum wouldn't think it was HTML): int load_palette(const char *filename, PALETTE *p) { FILE *fp = NULL; int i; fp = fopen(filename, "rb"); if(fp == NULL) return FALSE; /* Go to offset 0x0036 in the file. This is where the palette data is stored. */ fseek(fp, 0x0036, SEEK_SET); /* Read the palette. */ for(i = 0; i < 256; i++) { /* Get blue component. */ fread(&p[ i ]-b, sizeof(char), 1, fp); /* Get green component. */ fread(&p[ i ]->g, sizeof(char), 1, fp); /* Get red component. */ fread(&p[ i ]->r, sizeof(char), 1, fp); /* Read the filler byte. */ fread(&p[ i ]->filler, sizeof(char), 1, fp); } /* Close the file and return TRUE for succes. */ fclose(fp); return TRUE; } And when I try to show the bmp "gfx.bmp" the colors come out all wrong... /. Muzzafarath Edited by - Muzzafarath on 4/1/00 10:35:44 AM

Advertisement
You''re in luck, I just finished off my super error checking bmp reader, it also loads palettes. If you want it I will email it to you, it''s very clear code and has very good error checking. You might also try support the Microsoft .pal palettes. That way you don''t need a whole image to get the palette. The header format is unknown to me right now (cuz I didn''t bother trying to learn it) but at offset 24 the RGBF 94-byte) color palette starts Have fun

- I kode kuz I kan!

That was just a spelling mistake, it happened when I was clearing up the code so it could be posted It doesn''t work even if i put in ->.

But thanks for telling me.

/. Muzzafarath

your making it harder than it has to be. just do this:
int Load_Palette_From_File(char *filename, LPPALETTEENTRY palette)
{
// this function loads a palette from disk into a palette
// structure, but does not set the pallette

FILE *fp_file; // working file

// try and open file
if ((fp_file = fopen(filename,"r"))==NULL)
return(0);

// read in all 256 colors RGBF
for (int index=0; index<256; index++)
{
// read the next entry in
fscanf(fp_file,"%d %d %d %d",&palette[index].peRed,
&palette[index].peGreen,
&palette[index].peBlue,
&palette[index].peFlags);
} // end for index

// close the file
fclose(fp_file);

// return success
return(1);
} // end Load_Palette_From_Disk

just use scanf! look how simple it really is!

oh!! wait!!! you wanted it from a bitmap file, not a designated palette file, oh i see!!

well, make fread into _lread, for one (_lread reads data from a file to a buffer). heres the dec:
UINT _lread(HFILE file, LPVOID lpBuffer, UINT ubytes)
that should make it easier.
with that, you don't even need a loop! just go:
_lread(file_handle, &bitmap->palette,MAX_COLORS_PALETTE*sizeof(PALETTEENTRY));
where bitmap->palette is a PALETTEENTRY and MAX_COLORS_PALETTE is 256.
after that, howeer, you have to switch the red and blue elements for each palette entry, since its just the way it is.
i know i sound confusing, so e-mail me if you are still confused

Edited by - Zipster on 4/1/00 5:18:59 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!