I don't understand this compiler stuff.

Started by
5 comments, last by gamer0018 21 years, 8 months ago
First off i appluade each and every one of you programmers and computer whizzes. But i just don''t understand this stuff. How do i download a free compiler to write in C++ on windows xp? Thanks for everything. P.s. i tried to download djgpp and i got this unzip32.exe file but it appears and dissapears when i try to open it. Please help me. thanks again
Advertisement
One of the best free c/c++ compilers is called Dev-C++. Its a Windows IDE and uses gcc and MingW32 so it can write DOS and Windows programs and also features a debugger. DJGPP is very old and runs on DOS which is probably why it ran and then disappered. So give Dev-C++(Version 4 or 5) a try. It can be found at http://www.bloodshed.net (don''t let the name fool you).
Thanks. I got it
quote:Original post by Scet
Its a Windows IDE and uses gcc and MingW32 so it can write DOS and Windows programs and also features a debugger.

Just a small correction: Dev-C++ (i.e. the version of GCC it uses) cannot produce DOS executables. It can produce Win32 executables that run in a console, but that''s still different from DOS.
AP - I started with Dev-C++ and could run programs straight from Dos without a problem.
No, you couldn''t.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Hi Folks!

Watcom is also a very good multi-plattform compiler (that was used for most of the DOS games i.e. "Descent"). Is has moved from a commercial product to open source some time ago. Give it a try.

CU Andreas

----------------------------
Vote Schröder!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement