Other then DirectShow, what else is good to use to play MP3's????

Started by
8 comments, last by Prettyboyfs 21 years, 8 months ago
I figure this is the only forum to ask, so here I am. What else, other then DirectShow, is good or can play MP3''s? Just curious. PrettyBoyFS
Advertisement
WinAmp''s my favorite
IIRC, DirectSound has stuff to play mp3''s as well.

There''s another audio SDK... I think it''s called OggVorbis.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
FMOD is also a fairly nice library.
If you use anything like these proposed then better ONLY PLAY the MP3''s :-)

DirectShow is way more than a simple audio playback architecture. Just as a side note (from someone spending a significant part of his time in DirectShow since around 6 months).

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
Check out the Bass library (http://www.un4seen.com/music/). It''ll play everything -- mp3s, wavs, mods, s3ms, its, x3ms... all of it. And play it pretty well, with a nice, easy API.

The forums are helpful, and the one question I had was answered in a bout two hours. Great stuff.

The licensing can be a problem: it''s not free for commercial or shareware development.
licencing problems?
bad lowbitrate mp3 quality?

vote for .ogg

:D its great, and fully free

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Prettyboyfs, I''d suggest you use FMod for all your sound playback. It''s easy to use, free for non-commercial stuff, has good tutorials/sample sources, it''s blitzing fast and portable.
http://www.fmod.org/

thona, how thick are those Microsoft goggles of yours?-) You seem to be adverticing M$ stuff in just about every thread.
FMOD is the best! www.fmod.org
Hey, as a side note. Does DirectShow have licencing problems?
It''s completely free right? The only problem with it is your program will be tied to windows at a specific DirectX version?
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)
nope, using directshow frees you of mp3 restrictions since MS foots the bill for you. also MS does not ask for any mony nor have any real restrictive liscence for using directx. though you are definatly pretty much forced to use windows. however as long as the user has an equal or greater version of directx there will be no problems with things working. its one of the reasons why its best to use the lowest version of the directx component (in this case directshow) that supports what you want.

directx is fully compatible with all previous versions since it uses COM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement